OPINION: S. DAKOTA: Herseth Supports Stem Cell Research
Aberdeen American News, SD
Posted on Thu, May. 20, 2004

To the editor - Embryonic stem cell research is back in the news. A Harvard scientist has produced results supporting
the argument that embryonic stem cells are essential for growing insulin-producing cells required for a new treatment
for Type I Diabetes.

Nancy Reagan is speaking out in favor of the research as a way to cure Alzheimer's. She said we have delayed long
enough. She wants others to be spared the pain that she and President Reagan have experienced.

A bipartisan letter signed by 206 representatives was sent to President Bush asking restrictions be relaxed to allow
discarded embryos to be used for research. A similar letter is being circulated in the Senate. Nineteen stem-cell lines
simply are not enough to carry out creditable research for cures for Juvenile Diabetes, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's and
other diseases. Researchers are leaving the country to pursue cures where there is a more favorable climate for
research.

President Bush does not plan to revisit his policy.

Rep. Diana DeGette, a Democrat and GOP Rep. Rep. Michael Castle plan to introduce legislation to expand the policy if
the president does not act. We need someone in Congress who already knows the issue and will work to advance this
research. We need a voice in Washington, not an echo. We have delayed long enough. We need action now - our grandsons
are depending on this research to find a cure for Juvenile Diabetes.

Vote for Stephanie Herseth on June 1.

Delano Wood
Cresbard

SOURCE: Aberdeen American News, SD