Dear Bob,
              I haven't been a recipient of listserv till recently and was wondering are you a PWP, or close to someone with P.D.
Your sign off includes your degrees, I'm confused.
I thought this was a forum for PWP to have their say, so am I wrong in assuming this and perhaps you're the mediator?
                                                            Lee

"Robert A. Fink, M. D." <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
On 22 May 2004 at 17:22, Rayilyn Brown wrote:

> Not so today, with our Johnny-come-lately to Jesus Commander in Chief
> leading (from the safety of the Oval Office)his Christian soldiers on
> to war, albeit not war on disease.

Do you have to ridicule our president, Ray? You can oppose him without
degenerating to tactics that were common among sixth-graders when I was
growing up.

> As I recall, there were "moral" objections against organ transplants.
> I don't believe unscrupulous people are harvesting peoples' organs,
> yet that was a fear then , like the fear of cloning today.

Take a look at places like China. Where executed criminals have their organs
removed so that the organs can be sold on the black market. This is going on
in the West, also, but receives little publicity. A few years ago, a couple
purposely had another child so that they could get bone marrow to transplant
to their other, ill, child.

> This argument is with us, like it or not. The latest research I read
> about was "Mickey has Two Moms". Scientists have actually produced a
> mouse from 2 females, also a mouse from 2 males. How do you like them
> apples? What effect might this have on the gay marriage brouhaha?

And when we learn how to clone humans, will we be better off?

> Science and mice seem to keep changing the world whether we are ready
> or not. Ray

The problem is that, although science has made major advances over the
years, our morality has not yet caught up with some of those advances. It
took 30-40 years for our morality and politics to "catch up" with the fact that
we had developed nuclear weapons (and learn how to control them, at least
partially); but during those years, we could have easily destroyed this planet
and all life thereon. We were lucky.

To allow science to develop without developing a morality to go along with it
is deadly.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
Neurological Surgery
2500 Milvia Street Suite 222
Berkeley, CA 94704-2636 USA
510-849-2555 FAX: 510-849-2557

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"

Disclaimer: That which is written in my e-mail is not to be
considered as "medical advice". Such advice can only be
given after a formal, in-person, consultation between
doctor and patient.