X-Posted to REED-L and PERFORM

Some of you may know that a couple of years ago, a South African troupe called Yiimimangaliso mounted a magnificent production of the Chester Mystery Cycle at the Wilton Music Hall in London.  It was so successful that they brought it back to the West End the following year, where I was lucky enough to see it.  It was one of the great theatrical experiences of my life.  The dialogue is in English, Latin, Afrikaans and Xhosa (possibly another Black African language, as well), but it is never difficult to follow what's going on onstage.  For example, in "The Sacrifice of Isaac," Isaac speaks Afrikaans and Abraham speaks English.  Noah speaks Xhosa with a little English thrown in, while his Uxor speaks only Xhosa (or the other Black African language).  God speaks all the languages.  The staging and use of music is as creative as it gets and is a good match for the National Theatre production of Tony Harrison's The Mysteries.

I've used the video of Harrison's play to good effect for several years in my medieval drama class, but I've longed for a way to show the Yiimimangaliso version to my students.  It turns out that the BBC recorded the last performance of the first run, and they have just released it on video through Heritage Theatre.  It is available from

http://www.heritagetheatre.com/ht/0/mysteries/intro.html

The cost is 18 pounds plus shipping and handling.  My copy cost me a total of $43 and change.  It was not clear from the web site that the DVD is available in any format other than PAL, so I ordered the VHS tape, but I have been assured now by the company that a DVD that works in U.S. machines is available for quick distribution from within the U.S.--they tell from your address which DVD to send.

I am not connected in any way with the BBC, Heritage Theatre or Yiimimangaliso and am receiving nothing for this announcement.  I normally would not send the equivalent of a commercial advertisement, but this is such a great teaching tool that I want as many teachers of medieval drama as possible to know about it.  I would also urge you to ask your libraries to add it to their collection.

Alan Baragona