Hello Nilo,

I think I can answer your questions regarding PAN and The Stem Cell Action Network (SCAN). FISCA is the acronym for the conference itself, which was put together by SCAN. As a National Field Representative, along with my fiance Ann Campbell, for PAN in 2002 and 2003, and now coordinator of the PAN Grass-roots Network Advocacy Program in Northern California, and one of the presenters on the agenda for Sunday, I can speak with some authority about this conference.

First, SCAN is concerned exclusively with the promotion, education, and advocacy of embryonic stem cell research and somatic cell nuclear transfer (SCNT). PAN on the other hand, although it supports embryonic stem cell research, supports many different areas of research such as GDNF, various gene therapies, and even blueberries which have shown to be powerful antioxidants.

Second, SCAN is a coalition of individuals who suffer from the many different diseases and conditions. PAN is devoted exclusively to finding a cure for Parkinson's as soon as humanly possible.

The FISCA conference has the support and endorsement of the Coalition for the Advancement of Medical Research (CAMR) of which PAN is a member. To my knowledge the founding members of SCAN did not actively seek the endorsement of PAN. However, since active PAN members are presenting at the conference, PAN obviously does not oppose or otherwise or have any thing but best wishes for the success of the conference.

Although PAN actively supports embryonic stem cell research, its aim on this issue, as with all others, is to secure federal funding for the research that it finds to be the most promising route to a cure for Parkinson's disease. SCAN, on the other hand, is concerned with a broad range of education and awareness strategies to increase the understanding of the general public about the benefits and the nature of embryonic stem cell research, and turn them into embryonic stem cell activists.

So I think you can see that the organizations are complementary rather than duplicative or competitive. The FISCA conference is an educational tool to create activists out of members of the general public. PAN seeks to influence public officials as to the value and indeed the necessity for pursuing and funding embryonic stem cell research. Having testified before Congress myself on behalf of PAN and CAMR I am familiar with the specific mission and focus of PAN, and I can say with assurance that PAN welcomes the efforts of organizations such as SCAN to promote embryonic stem cell research.

I hope this answers your questions. PAN's failure to endorse the FISCA conference was presumably because they were until recently unknown. If you have any further questions about the upcoming conference, please feel free to write me at the address listed above.

Nilo Sarmiento <[log in to unmask]> wrote: Hi,

Thanks for getting this conference together; it must have taken quite a bit
of effort on your part and on the part of other organizers. I do have a
concern, and I'd like your response.

My concern was triggered by what is stated on your Mission:

"We are a grassroots, volunteer group of patients and their families and
friends."

"Those of us who support this research have often remained silent. It is
high time that we get organized and that our voices are heard. Across
America, we are building a community that favors embryonic stem cell
research and we will petition, educate, and vote to advance this humane,
lifesaving work."

The statement sounds as though there have not been previous efforts on a
grassroots level to get the entire American community organized, to break
their silence and support stem cell research. There have been previous
efforts and one such effort has been PAN, http://www.parkinsonsaction.org/,
which has been presented differently by
http://www.kingwoodcable.com/martone/parkinso.htm.

For your information, I am not a member of PAN, and am not writing in
behalf of PAN. My questions are, simply:

(1) how does Stem Cell Action Network differ from PAN, and
(2) why is PAN not on the list of FISCA sponsors.

As an individual suffering from parkinson's, my personal interest is that
of a coordinated effort and unified voice on the part of various
parkinson's support groups and action networks supposedly working together
to find a cure for "my" disease.

Thank you.

Nilo