Michelle Lane's "Letter to the Editor"
The Lafayette Daily Advertiser
May 29, 2004

Stem cell research offers chance to ‘live with dignity’

As I sat in the Senate Judiciary Committee Meeting on human cloning (SB782 by Sen. Lentini) at our state’s capitol,
Father Maestri was present as a proponent of this bill. When called to testify, he announced that he was speaking on
behalf and representing the Archdiocese of New Orleans, then ended his testimony with a quote that not only mortified
me, but will stay in the minds of many for years to come. And I quote, "Look at the pope, he is 86 years old, has
Parkinson’s and is setting an example of how to die with dignity. Please vote in favor of SB782.”

As a 35-year-old mother of three children who attend Catholic school and who is living her every waking hour battling
Parkinson’s disease, I offer the following rebuttal to

Father Maestri’s disingenuous comment:

Some opponents of stem cell research offer “dying with dignity” as an alternative. What about “living with dignity?” Is
it moral to allow an 8-year-old juvenile diabetes patient to die with dignity when stem cell research may very possibly
offer a life-saving cure? And what of the 35-year-old Parkinson’s patient who has a family to raise and support? Is a
slow death with “dignity” the best we can offer them?

Why should anyone “die with dignity” when stem cell research could very well give them the chance to “live with
dignity?” Is it God’s will that an 8-year-old child die of juvenile diabetes? Or is it God’s will that we use every
ounce of our knowledge and resourcefulness to save her?

Therapeutic cloning of stem cells uses no viable tissue. It neither creates nor destroys human life. What it does do is
give hope to millions of living human beings suffering from conditions like juvenile diabetes, Parkinson’s,
Alzheimer’s, sickle cell anemia, AIDS, cancer, heart conditions, arthritis and spinal cord injuries. It is their most
promising chance for a cure.

Their most promising chance to live with dignity.

Michelle Lane
President
Parkinson’s Association of Louisiana
Harahan

SOURCE: The Lafayette Daily Advertiser - May 29, 2004
http://tinyurl.com/3crlk

* * *