Thought this might be of interest. It appears   to be
spearheaded by parents of children with intellectual
difficulties, but I see no reason why PWPs should not
become inbolved

**/Vote Now! Disability Savings Plan/**

**/Please sign the Petition and make it an election
priority/**

   4 QUICK WAYS TO SUPPORT THE CREATION OF THE
DISABILITY SAVINGS PLAN

1) Sign our on-line petition at
*www.PetitionOnline.com/2603655/petition.html*
<http://www.petitiononline.com/2603655/petition.html>

2) Write Prime Minister Paul Martin and the leaders of
the other federal
parties (Samples at http://www.plan.ca
<http://www.plan.ca/articles/DSP/4quickways.htm> and
follow the links)

3) Talk to your candidates in the upcoming federal
election: (See
candidates briefing kit at http://www.plan.ca
<http://www.plan.ca/> and
follow the links)

4) Forward our petition to other families that you
know.

Get more information and sign up for updates at
http://www.plan.ca
<http://www.plan.ca/articles/DSP/getinvolved.htm> or
contact Jack Styan
at [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

**Speech from the Throne, 2004:**

// “Many Canadians with disabilities are ready to
contribute but
confront difficult obstacles in the workplace and in
their communities.
And too often, families are left on their own to care
for a severely
disabled relative. Here too, *the Government of
*///*/Canada/*//*/ has a
role/*///.”//

/*/“/*//*/Canada/*//*/ cannot afford to squander the
talents of people
with disabilities/*/// or turn its back on those who
seek to provide
care and a life of dignity for family members with
severe disabilities.”//

/*/“The Government will also improve the fairness of
the tax system for
people with disabilities/*///, and their supporting
families, based on
the findings of the Advisory Committee on Tax
Measures, which will
areas of priority.”//

The recent Throne Speech indicates that issues
affecting people with
disability and their families will be a priority in
this federal election.

As Canadian families, we have long wanted recognition
in the tax system
for the extraordinary costs associated with having a
disability, or
supporting our sons and daughters with disabilities to
become
contributing citizens.

The need is more critical than ever. For the first
time in history,
persons with disabilities are outliving their parents.
At the same time,
an aging population will strain our Governments’
ability to address many
other social issues.

The */Disability Savings Plan/*/ /will provide a
flexible savings
vehicle with a tax incentive that encourages families
to make financial
contributions during their lifetimes, without penalty
by provincial
programs. The */Disability Savings Plan/* will assist
us to utilize our
financial resources to secure a good life forourselves
and/or our
relatives with a disability – now and in the future.
It will provide
recognition for our contributions – a tax deferment –
and provide a
mechanism to help, without jeopardizing provincial
disability benefits.

*/Let’s build on the momentum from the Throne Speech
and rally families
across /**/Canada/**/. /*

*/Let’s encourage Prime Minister Martin as well as all
other candidates
in the federal election to support the Disability
Savings Plan./*

**/Let’s secure the endorsement of each federal party
now!/**