Thomas Hartman: Inspiring Confidence and Generosity
A.J. Carter
June 7, 2004

Msgr. Thomas Hartman told us this story, and it is a clear example of why his fund-raiser next week for research into
Parkinson's disease is shaping up as the event of the season in the business community: There's something about Hartman
that inspires even those who think they need no inspiration.

"When I first got Parkinson's I was depressed, and then after a while, thinking about it and praying about it, I was
out in Montauk, I heard God say to me, 'Don't worry, don't be afraid, I'll be with you, you'll be OK, and I started
thinking wider than myself," Hartman told us. "I realized that maybe I was being called to be an example of suffering,
not just to give sermons about it, but to look at the positive nature of it."

Hartman set up his Parkinson's research foundation. With the help of WLNY/55 chairman Michael Pascucci, Hartman got
hooked up with the doctors treating actor Michael J. Fox, and then with someone who is on the board of Fox's
foundation, which is among the most active in supporting Parkinson's research.

"So I called Michael, and we made arrangements to get together," Hartman said, "For me, it was like going to meet
Muhammad Ali - the one who is tops in their field. I met him, and I said, 'Michael, I admire you. I think you have done
more than anyone for Parkinson's, anyone in the world ...'

"He said, 'I know that you've been anxious to meet me, but actually, I've been waiting for 10 years to meet you. And as
you get to know me better, you'll know that I have an abhorrence for priests, ministers and rabbis who lead people to
feel guilty, to feel unloved and unworthy. I've listened to you for 10 years on public TV, and not once did I ever hear
a word in that direction from you. ... Because of that, you're the only person that I've ever seen do that, I have to
say, I admire you.'"

So far, 1,200 people have signed up for Hartman's June 15 dinner at the Huntington Town House. Hartman said he will
announce that a Long Island business person - we don't know the name - has pledged $1 million; at least another
$500,000 should be raised. Fox has agreed to match the take.

SOURCE: Newsday, NY
http://tinyurl.com/2lpah

* * *