Just my own feelings....

I read the comments re: things we think may have contributed to Parkinsons in our own lives.  We always try to pin it on something that we view as a negative impact that might have caused a chemical change.....

But did you ever stop to think about all of the things that are "different" in our lives as compared to older generations (and they also had Parkinsons!!!!).  Could it be formica countertops (perhaps changing the makeup of all of the food we slice.....or wipe off with the sponge...and what about that sponge!!)?     Could it be hair dye/color rinse/shampoo? ......our forefathers probably did not have Pert and Suave and Lady Clairol on the shelf in the shower.    Could it be parafin on milk cartons?.....the cows don't have parafin lined utters.    Or could it have been bubble gum.......that glorious pink dye......or the bright blue on jaw breakers?    Maybe even Tootsie Rolls.

I was symptomatic in my 30's.....I am one of you who has wondered about the cause.....and wondered if I had a family history or if my children were affected.

But I also realize that PD has been around for ages......and during my lifetime polio has been virtually eliminated.......and seldom do the children in a family die in infancy (not so in my mom's generation)......and cancers are treated.....and antibiotic use is rampant for simple diseases which used to be lifethreatening.   We have a longer life span than was predicted when I was born.    We have more medical help available.  We see a dr. more often.  We communicate with thousands of people every day (via internet/media).  We are more aware of disease/symptom/treatment than our grandparents ever dreamed.  We are cancer and heart disease survivors.  We have pneumonia and play golf 3 weeks later.  We have diabetes as teens and live to hug our grandchildren.

For the most part we have running water, inside plumbing, electricity, cars, mass transportation, supermarkets and broadcast media all rare in the days of my parents.
We have pasturized milk, hamburger helper, bottled "fresh squeezed" orange juice and the morning newspaper, Pledge, Comet, and Lysol....gas powered lawnmowers and electric clothes dryers.....permapress cotton and microwave popcorn and cellophane packages.....not so on the farm in 1910 when mom was born.   Add to that...sedentary life styles (I haven't pounded the wash board for many many years....although I may occasionally touch a clothes pin).

To try to pinpoint second hand smoke or artificial sweetener (or whatever the agonist of the week may be).....is very very difficult......when our environment is impacted by so many things each and every day.

So many changes....multiple impacts.....healthier lifestyle....better nutrition....and Sinemet!!!

Hope you have a wonderful day...
Rita Weeks