-----Original Message-----
From: Parkinson's Information Exchange Network
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of KF
Etzold
Sent: Friday, June 25, 2004 7:25 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Stem Cell research

As you pointed out "adult stem cell research is the
most promising."

An important foundation for any scientific research is
an unbiased inquiry
into items we do not understand. It may well be true
that "adult stem cell
research is the most promising" but that does not mean
we should conclude
from that that other research is not needed. The
history of science is full
of surprising discoveries. Perhaps the most difficult
decision a scientist
has to make is which problem to pursue. Everybody
likes success and to great
extent that is what is rewarded by Nobel and other
prizes. It seems, right
now, the stem cell research is wide open and that the
outcome of any
research in this area is uncertain. But that is
exactly the justification to
pursue all directions. To ignore one area makes no
sense at all.

It should also be pointed out that most research is
done on existing "lines"
for which "killing" of embryos  is not necessary. As
for additional "lines"
it can be justified to use a few which would be
discarded anyway.

There is also the question of competition. There is
stem cell work going on
around the world. If any of the work outside the US is
successful do we
forbid the use of the results (to US residents)? One
of the principal causes
for the success and power of the US is its scientific
prowess. We should be
in the forefront and not forbid or restrict this kind
of research (subject
to the proper ethical constraints).

K. F. Etzold CG Carline

6/25/2004