On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 17:38:04 +0200 "M.Schild" <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
> > Adult Stem Cells - 3, Embryonic Stem Cells - 0
> >
> > by Daniel McConchie
>
> isnīt the source, Center for Bioethics and Human Dignity (
> www.cbhd.org), a
> little biased?
> Maryse cg john 75,15

 I agree they are more than a little biased - as are some of  McConchie's
 cited sources, and some are dated as well,  such as
 www.stemcellresearch.org/facts/factsheet-04-03-02.htm

Checking  the home page of web sites such as stemcellresearch.org  - they
pretend to provide unbiased, scientific information, but in reality they
only present information that supports their viewpoint and proclaim it is
" scientific fact."

I'm sure that for every study he cites, other research could be found
reporting progress with embryonic stem cells. One isolated  study doesn't
prove anything. It is too early in the research process to know which
type of cells will work best for which diseases.  Medical research
progresses on both the successes and the failures of earlier research. It
is constantly evolving.  Limiting either embryonic or stem cell research
will  delay finding the best treatments for Parkinson's and other
dieseases. How much farther along could we have been today if the U.S.
government had given its full support and funding to ESCR years ago?
Don't we all know people whose Pd has advanced to debilitating stages
during the last 4 years - might  they have been helped?

For an understandable, balanced view of where stem cell science is today
and where it might be heading, see:
"The Life in a Cell
Stem-cell researchers find fresh hope for curing deadly diseases—along
with new controversies"
By Claudia Kalb
Newsweek June 28, 2004 issue
Currently available online at: