June 21, 2004
Presidential elections present us with choices about our nation's future. We
support John Kerry for President and urge you to join us.
The prosperity, health, environment, and security of Americans depend on
Presidential leadership to sustain our vibrant science and technology; to
encourage education at home and attract talented scientists and engineers from abroad;
and to nurture a business environment that transforms new knowledge into new
opportunities for creating quality jobs and reaching shared goals.
President Bush and his administration are compromising our future on each of
these counts. By reducing funding for scientific research, they are
undermining the foundation of America's future. By setting unwarranted restrictions on
stem cell research, they are impeding medical advances. By employing
inappropriate immigration practices, they are turning critical scientific talent away
from our shores. And by ignoring scientific consensus on critical issues such as
global warming, they are threatening the earth's future. Unlike previous
administrations, Republican and Democratic alike, the Bush administration has
ignored unbiased scientific advice in the policy-making that is so important to
our collective welfare.
John Kerry will change all this. He will support strong investments in
science and technology as he restores fiscal responsibility. He will stimulate the
development and deployment of technologies to meet our economic, energy,
environmental, health, and security needs. He will recreate an America that provides
opportunity to all at home or abroad who can help us make progress together.
John Kerry will restore science to its appropriate place in government and
bring it back into the White House. He is the clear choice for America's next
President.
Signed,
Peter Agre, Chemistry, 2003
David H. Hubel, Medicine, 1981
Sidney Altman, Chemistry, 1989
Louis Ignarro, Medicine, 1998
Philip W. Anderson, Physics, 1977
Eric Kandel, Medicine, 2000
David Baltimore, Medicine, 1975
Walter Kohn, Chemistry, 1998
Baruj Benacerraf, Medicine, 1980
Arthur Kornberg, Medicine, 1959
Paul Berg, Chemistry, 1980
Leon M. Lederman, Physics, 1988
Hans A. Bethe, Physics, 1967
T. D. Lee, Physics, 1957
Gunter Blobel, Medicine, 1999
David M. Lee, Physics, 1996
N. Bloembergen, Physics, 1981
William N. Lipscomb, Chemistry, 1976
Leon N. Cooper, Physics, 1972
Roderick MacKinnon, Chemistry, 2003
James W. Cronin, Physics, 1980
Mario J. Molina, Chemistry, 1995
Johann Deisenhofer, Chemistry, 1988
Joseph E. Murray, Medicine, 1990
John B. Fenn, Chemistry, 2002
Douglas D. Osheroff, Physics, 1996
Val Fitch, Physics, 1980
George Palade, Medicine, 1974
Jerome I. Friedman, Physics, 1990
Arno Penzias, Physics, 1978
Walter Gilbert, Chemistry, 1980
Martin L. Perl, Physics, 1995
Alfred G. Gilman, Medicine, 1994
Norman F. Ramsey, Physics, 1989
Donald A. Glaser, Physics, 1960
Burton Richter, Physics, 1976
Sheldon L. Glashow, Physics, 1979
Joseph H. Taylor, Physics, 1993
Joseph Goldstein, Medicine, 1985
E. Donnall Thomas, Medicine, 1990
Roger Guillemin, Medicine, 1977
Charles H. Townes, Physics, 1964
Dudley Herschbach, Chemistry, 1986
Harold Varmus, Medicine, 1989
Roald Hoffmann, Chemistry, 1981
Eric Wieschaus, Medicine, 1995
H. Robert Horvitz, Medicine, 2002
Robert W. Wilson, Physics, 1978
The views of expressed in this letter represent those of the signers acting
as individual citizens. They do not necessarily represent the views of the
institutions with which they are affili

<A HREF="http://www.usnewswire.com/">http://www.usnewswire.com/</A>