I applaud your comments about adult stem cell research.  One of the most difficult things a politician can do is to stand on a platform that makes everyone happy.  Adult stem cells (with sources from bone marrow, blood, fatty tissue, etc.) are one of those areas.

Reality check:  I firmly believe that even with a change in present White House administration, we won't be quickly getting into any embryonic stem cell research (aside from the possibility of agreeing to be flexible enough to allow the use of present fertility clinic embryos, which I think WILL happen).  And I say "quickly" because (as you pointed out), time is of the essence.  It will be YEARS before stem cell research is perfected to the point of human use.  However, some of us would be first in line to volunteer for clinical trials for such.

We cling to a hope that may lead to a dead end, but we never know until we try.  Have you heard that polio is making a comeback?  What will be next?  As people continue to ignore the need to preserve our precious resources (clean air, water, good nutrition), we will be in even greater need of some type of therapy to save the masses.

Why not try stem cell research?  Why not utilize those embryos marked for flushing down the toilet - or even moreso, those that will in the future be flushed away.  Talk about an amazing example of recycling!

Can one be pro-life AND supportive of stem cell research?  You betcha!  But it will take thousands - maybe even millions to turn political AND religious leaders heads - and it starts with just one.  Educate your communities - write letters to the editor (even in small town publications), speak at civic and church groups.  There is a compromise out there waiting to be made - once they see the benefits of such research, the rest is self-perpetuating.

Peggy in Tennessee