Hi, Jamie --

It sounds as if you're thinking about PBL or inquiry learning, where the
emphasis is on the process of thinking as much as on the written product.

-- McMaster specializes in inquiry learning from the first year on: see the
website at http://www.mcmaster.ca/cll/inquiry/whats.unique.about.inquiry.htm.

-- There's also an STLHE booklet by Mac profs Bob Hudspeth and Herb Jenkins
called Teaching the Art of Enquiry (2001), which focusses on the design of
assignments and on coaching students through their wish to start with the answer
and then formulate a problem that fits it.

-- Donald Woods from Chem Engineering at Mac has also written books on PBL,
e.g., Problem-Based Learning (self-published, I think, around 1994).

-- San Diego also has a website defining PBL for medicine and management
studies: http://edweb.sdsu.edu/clrit/learningtree/PBL/WhatisPBL.html

-- The best book linking writing and analytic/critical/inquiry learning is by
John Bean: Engaging Ideas: The Professor's Guide to Integrating Writing,
Critical Thinking, and Active Learning in the Classroom (Jossey-Bass, 2001). I
highly recommend it as a source for teaching strategies in university courses,
and will be interested to see if you think it fits your clients.

Margaret

--
(Dr.) Margaret Procter
University of Toronto Coordinator, Writing Support

(416) 978-8109; FAX (416) 971-2027
http://www.utoronto.ca/writing