It is with a great amount of humility and belief in the human spirit
that I am going to try to express my gratitude for everyone who helped
to make Shake, Rattle & Roll-2004 such a  success!! It is always amazing
to me what can be accomplished thru determination and a bit ( ok-a lot!)
of hard work!!

On Saturday, June 26th, we were treated to the 3rd in a series of
interactive symposiums entitled "Patients As Providers." This is
presented by PLWP.org (People Living With Parkinson's) but it was mainly
the pet project of Holly Angus. This year, she arranged for a different
location (more space, light, and accessibility), food, people to work,
sponsors and a program that was extremely interesting. "Seeking Strength
and Relief-Integrative Therapies and PD" brought together a myriad of
different speakers: Brenda Tucker (co-founder of PLWP), Carol Walton
(executive director of the Parkinson Alliance) as herself and also
filling in for the awol Nancy Abraham (co-founder of PLWP), Joe
DeGiovanni (the head of the exercise program at IPMR), Jeanna Dakin (an
instructor of Thai G), Kim Gayon (a chiropractor who also spoke about
the benefits of massage and nutrition) and Dr. Marc Katchen (the
director of the new PD & Movement Disorder Clinic that opened recently
in Peoria). The discussions were all packed full of information and
advice and were judged by all in attendance to be a major success for
both PLWP and Holly. Sponsors were Medtronics and Boehringer-Ingelheim.

Sunday dawned hazy and cool as we all made an early start down at Le
Vieux Carre. I am still amazed at the wonderful work done by volunteers:
they set up the silent auction, the decorations, the food tables, the
entertainment, and the registration with a flair for making everything
easy and right. We had the best of helpers from Peoria Rotary North,
friends and neighbors and people who just wanted to chip in and help.
Gina Morrs from WEEK channel 25 was our master of ceremonies, and as
always, did a fantastic job. Jim Evanhaus and his team of fellow
Rotarians made short work of the balloons and other decorations and then
went on to do an extraordinary job of registering all the walkers. Bill
Keister, an old friend and soundman was right there the entire day,
mixing the sound for all of our wonderful entertainers: starting with
the legendary Ken Carlyle who was joined onstage by his old bandmate and
former harp player for Pork & The Havana Ducks and also for Duke Tomato
& The All-Star Frogs, Kent "The Doctor" LeCouris. This was my personal
surprise for Ken and it was an awesome sight to see them play together
again. Doc sat in and played harmonica for most of Ken's appearance.
Then we were treated to a performance by the Hair Co. Kids; leading off
the show was a tiny girl with a whale of a voice-Madison  Castle belted
out the song "Proud To Be An American" and had everyone screaming for
more. Then the littlest girls did a hip-hop routine to "Material Girl"
that even Madonna could look to for moves.

They were followed by two girls just a bit older and just as cute and
talented,  and who danced to "Crush." The stars of the show were the two
teenage girls who danced to "AM 2 PM" and performed their routine that
landed them in nationals . After the walk, we were entertained by the
powerful and exciting Celtic band-"The Bog Side Zukes."

At noon, the speakers were abundant and to the point. We were graced by
the presence of State Senator George Shadid, State Representative David
R. Leitch (author of Illinois Cord Blood Donation Bill), State
Representative Ricca Slaone, US Representative Lane Evans (a fellow
parkie) and Michelle Obama (the wife of the Democratic nominee for US
Senate). It was a real coup for me to entertain such a bi-partisan array
of dignitaries.

I must mention the food: most of it was donated by local bakeries (Hanson's,

Trefzger's & Apple's); sweet breads from Connie Randall at "A Matter of
Taste"...there were turnovers and cinnamon rolls from Betty Sue's,
wonderful coffee from "Happy Thoughts Coffee Shop," fruit from Kroger's
and Shanuck's and then after the walk, we were treated to mpstacolli and
bread pudding from Rizzi's on State Street.

None of this would have been possible without the help and hard-working
Pat Sullivan and his crew of help from Kelleher's.  Pat was first on the
scene in the am and the last to leave when it ended.

And I would be remiss if I didn't mention the silent auction and all the
terrific people from all over the world who helped to make this auction
one of the greatest collection of prizes ever assembled. Although some
of the items that I thought were worth more than they brought in
(bidders got some fabulous deals!), I think that we brought in half of
the retail price of all the goods auctioned off so that is better than
we should have hoped for (if not what I had dreamed of!). It is the most
humbling experience to see all the effort and time put into making many
of these items...especially those made and sent or brought by fellow
parkies. It makes me realize how truly blessed we are to have such
wonderful and talented friends.

Finally, I must thank the PWP's who shared in this event with Holly and
me: Karen, Tony, Mike, and all the local parkies, the ever-popular
Brenda Tucker, Toad and Nanny who are always a delight, the ever-loyal
and always helpful Caz and her sister Helen, newcomers Chris
(cinemaripper) and Judy Herbert (judygay) from the chatroom, our dear
friend and fellow advocate Paula  Tomlin and our friend Nancy Van Hook
and we can't forget our sponsor and advisor Carol Walton from the
Parkinson Alliance.

We might not have made it to our goal or even to last year's total but I
have nothing but admiration and a lot of gratitude for all of the hard
work and the tremendous effort put forth by lots of great folks. Thank
you all.

--
Joan E. Blessington Snyder       51/13
http://www.pwnkle.com/jes/jes_web/index.htm