In a message dated 7/2/2004 11:02:27 PM Pacific Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:
some of you who have had dbs----------how much help do
you need for the first few days following surgery?
**
Hi Winnie,

I haven't had the surgery, but my father has -- four or five times now.
Anyway, with the first surgery, he came home the very next day and we had to help
him by changing bandages.  We also had to take care of the regular routine,
but if you are still managing your own daily activities, I think that you will
be able to do most of them on your own, unless you have a bad headache or
something.  My dad had no headache, which I still don't understand.

With the following surgeries, the recovery seemed to be quicker, but that
could just be a perception based on the fact that he went back to his NH rather
than back home.

Improvements: There was immediate improvement in several areas.  However,
over time, these seemed to diminish.  Although, perhaps it is just the
unrelenting progress of the disease?  He thought (and still thinks) it was worth it,
which is why he asked for the stimulators to be repositioned, the reason for
subsequent surgeries.

Best of luck to you.  I've heard more success stories than negative ones.

Carrie, daughter of Michael 68/45/44? (PD dx'd 23 years ago)