FROM: Associated Press
July 4, 2004

Hatch: Senate has votes to shift stem cell policy
Republican says support exists to ease administration restrictions

 Sen. Orrin Hatch, a Republican supporter of embryonic stem cell
research, said Sunday there is wide support in the Senate to ease the
Bush administration’s restrictive policy.

 Hatch said supporters have more than the 60 votes needed to end a
filibuster, but he’s unsure whether Congress would act “in this hot
political atmosphere.”

The Utah senator predicted on CNN’s “Late Edition” that the
administration and supporters of the research would reach a compromise
that would include moral and ethical standards set by the National
Institutes of Health.

“That has to be done, or we’re going to have a mess on our hands all over
the world,” Hatch said.

He predicted countries around the world would follow NIH standards,
including a ban on cloning.

Hatch was among 58 senators earlier this month who signed a letter to the
president asking him to relax restrictions on federal financing of
embryonic stem cell research.

Long before her husband’s death, former first lady Nancy Reagan supported
the research. She said cells from embryos could lead to cures for the
Alzheimer’s disease that afflicted Ronald Reagan, along with other
illnesses.

“I personally believe that in the end the president and those who are in
the administration will see that,” Hatch said. “And we need to support
this. Nancy Reagan happens to be right on this.”

Bush signed an executive order in August 2001 that limited federal help
to financing stem cell research on 78 embryonic stem cell lines then in
existence. Because day-old embryos are destroyed when stem cells are
extracted, the process is opposed by some conservatives who link it to
abortion.
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/5365620/