ive never had any replaced as far as going dead...but i have had replace due to inflammation..do you have one of those new medtronic devices that tells you when you have 25% battery left? there really neat to have...that would help some...i dont think you need to call medtronic to see if they have any available ..it would be the hospital where you have it done..also no need to take double meds..youll do just fine if its just replacing the battery..that has nothing to do with  the electrode placements...also its not an emergency  surgery...unless you feel pd is an emergency situation..lol..also it is an out patient 1 day surgery..no need to stay in hospital unless something else happens...as far as u giving yourself meds..that will be ok since your not in the hospital...i took my meds b4 surgery and woke up fine...meds were still working ..it is only 1 hour  operation....thanks donna thrash