Here is a quote that got my attention, from John Cottingham's post: "
Medtronic is a market leader in supplying these implantable cardiac
devices, which accounted for just under 50% of its sales. Last year,
revenues grew by 19%, to $9.1 billion, while net earnings surged by 23%, to
$2 billion." This works out to a 22% profit. This profit is after expenses
like RD, advertising etc. It strikes me that this is excessive. By
comparison IBM, which is a successful high tech business, had an 8.6%
profit. It sounds to me that certainly in Medtronic's business the profits
are huge which of course reflect itself in the cost to the consumer, us the
patients. So if you are wondering why the cost of medical care is
skyrocketing, here is a component.

Something to think about.

K. F. Etzold cg Carline