I agree that this is "not a Liberal-Conservative issue, but I see it just
the other way around.  Nancy Reagan, by advocating embryonic stem cell
research, is trying to remove the issue from politics.

Many of us feel that the issue of stem cell research is of such overriding
importance that we would vote for the candidate who would vote for it,
almost regardless of their stance on foreign affairs and the economy, let
alone their personal qualifications.  As long as the Republican leadership
feels that they must reach out to the religious segment that opposes stem
cell research, they are the ones who are playing politics with this issue.

To those of us who approach the 2004 presidential election as a single
issue election - that issue being stem cell research - it appears that we
will have to vote the Democratic ticket.  Our votes are based on the
President's rigid stance in this area.  Nancy Reagan is pleading for him to
relax his decree so that Republicans who understand the importance of stem
cell research may vote for him.  The "religious right" will not be likely
to desert him.  It looks like a win-win situation for him to listen to
Nancy Reagan.

Will the President be smart enough to do it?

Art