From: "John Cottingham"
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, July 13, 2004 10:50 PM
Subject: Retinal cells help Parkinson's

http://tinyurl.com/3vh76

> Retinal cells help Parkinson's
> 7/10/2004 3:27 PM
> By: Ivanhoe Broadcast News
>
> According to the American Parkinson Disease Association, more than 1.5
million people in the United States are living with Parkinson's disease.
Clinically, the disease is characterized by a decrease in spontaneous
movements, gait difficulty, postural instability, rigidity and tremor.

> Men and women alike are affected. It's more common in the over-60 age
group, even though there are an increasing number of patients of younger
age. The drug levodopa has been the standard treatment for Parkinson's
disease. Once it reaches the brain, levodopa is changed to dopamine, which
replaces the same substance that patients with Parkinson's disease lack.
Treatment with levodopa does not, however, prevent the progressive changes
of the brain that are typical of the disease.

> Levodopa may also produce side effects in some people due to its
conversion to dopamine before reaching the brain.

> "You start off with replacing the [dopamine] that is absent and that
corrects the problem in the initial stages really quite well. The problems
is, that as the patients get older, the number of cells drop off and the
symptoms get worse and within five years, most of the patients are having
very bad side effects from medication. You get what's called 'on-off'
effects. Patients go from being frozen and unable to move to being
uncontrollably moving. So, this fluctuation comes when the medicines are not
working effectively," Dr. Roy Bakay, from Rush University, said.

> Bakay and other researchers are involved in a clinical trial to replace a
certain type of cell that produces levodopa.
> "There are cells in the body that are capable of naturally producing the
L-dopa, the precursor to dopamine," he said.
> His team is using retinal cells taken from the back of the eye.
>
> "If you look in the back of the eye, there are dark cells in there, black
cells that keep the light from bouncing around inside the eye," Bakay said.
"These cells are very important for a large number of things that they do
and one of the things that they do is to produce pigment. A by-product of
that pigment is the L-dopa. The same drug that is used orally for
Parkinson's patients."

> In this study, Bakay and colleagues implant retinal cells deep into the
brain. The cells are placed on gelatin beads. The cells wrap themselves
around the beads and form a ball.

> "The cells themselves stay on the beads, so they don't go migrating around
the brain like stem cells do. They stay right where they're put, and they
produce the drug -- the idea is to smooth out the delivery of the
medication. In other words, part of this fluctuation between freezing and
excess movement is that the drug levels in the brain fluctuate up and down.
So by keeping it more level, you increase the patient's performance," Bakay
said.

> After one year, the six patients who were initially transplanted improved
their motor behavior by up to 50 percent.
> "That's a huge amount of improvement, and at two years they had maintained
it at about 41 percent," Bakay said.
> Patients also improved in their activity of daily living and in terms of
their mental outlook.

> The study is currently ongoing. There will be a total of 64 patients
enrolled.

> Watch the video of this story:

mailto:[log in to unmask]