In replying to John Cottingham's report I would like to tell you more detail
about this new treatment known as Spheramine.  Co-sponsors are Titan
Pharmaceuticals and Schering AG.  Titan recently posted this news release at
their site:  http://titanpharm.com/press/Spheraminefasttrack.htm  .
The crux of this release is that FDA has given approval for Spheramine
trials to move along the pipeline at an accelerated rate; as quoted in the
above article:  "the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has granted
Fast Track designation for Spheramine for the treatment of advanced
Parkinson's disease.  The Fast Track Program is designed by FDA to
facilitate the development and expedite the review of drug candidates that
demonstrate the potential to treat serious or life-threatening diseases and
address unmet medical needs."

There are two (no - three!) reasons to be turning cartwheels because of this
1)  We're hot on the trail of a novel treatment to help with advanced PD,
2)  The fast-track designation means it shouldn't take the average 10-14
years to get approval of this treatment,
3) and probably the best news is that FDA is recognizing Parkinson's disease
is a "serious or life-threatening disease!"

Another couple of comments about this treatment, beause of the encapsulating
beads that hold the retinal cells (hence the name "Spheramine" due to their
shape), patients do not have to take immunosuppresant drugs.  Additionally,
the article doesn't make it clear enough that the cells are from a donor eye
(such as are stored in an eye bank).  And get this - one eye can treat up to
10,000 PD patients!  Thus, there's no controversial issues with the source
of the cells implanted.

Spheramine is a viable treatment - I can say this with true conviction,
because I was one of the original 6 in Phase I of the clinical trials.  The
stats tell the story - after 2 years - nearly 50% symptom improvement!  And
remember, we're talking about a "progressive" illness!  The original six
only had unilateral implantation; the Phase II trial recruits will receive
bilaterial implantation.

It's still early into the trials, and anything could go awry.  It's not a
total cure - and I still have PD problems, but my meds are less than nearly
5 years ago when I had the surgery, and who knows where I would be had I not
chosen to do this?  In a word - there is "hope."
Peggy