The source of this article is the Houston Chronicle: http://tinyurl.com/4k9zt

July 26, 2004, 7:45PM

SUDDEN INSIGHT
Bush campaign wants Nancy Reagan at GOP convention
By CRAGG HINES
Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

Bush campaign officials are holding out hope that Nancy Reagan, widow of the late president, can be enticed to attend -- and possibly even to speak to -- the Republican National Convention in New York next month.

It would be a coup to trump the appearance of the Reagans' son, Ron, at the Democratic National Convention on Tuesday night. Ron Reagan, who has been critical of President Bush, will speak in support of stem cell research, which Bush opposes.

Stem cell research is seen as an important tool in combatting Alzheimer's disease. Former President Reagan, who announced 10 years ago that he had the disease, died last month.

Mrs. Reagan "supports stem cell research and she supports President Bush," a friend of the 83-year-old former first lady said.

Mrs. Reagan might condition her appearance on a clear ability to demonstrate her support for stem cell research.

"She can have anything she wants," a former Reagan administration official said.

Initial inquiries from party officials to Mrs. Reagan's advisors in California have been rebuffed, a Reagan confidant said, "but they may still be working on her."

Republican National Committee chairman Ed Gillespie made it clear today that he salivates at the prospect of Mrs. Reagan in New York.

"I have made it clear to Mrs. Reagan that she is welcome at the Republican National Convention, and I know our deleagets would love to see her and express their appreciation," Gillespie told reporters in Boston. "But that's completely in her prerogative."

Gillespie said he understood if Mrs. Reagan does not feel up to attending.

A Republican source said that the initial approach to Mrs. Reagan was made through Fred Ryan, a former chief of staff to the president in retirement. Michael Deaver, a long-time Reagan advisor, was also said to be involved.

A senior Republican said Ron Reagan's speech to the Democrats was being made with his mother's blessing, even though she support Bush's re-election.

"I'm sure she wants (Ron) to do whatever he wants to do," a Reagan friend said. As for Mrs. Reagan's own public schedule, "she's been feeling pretty shaky about doing anything."

Mrs. Reagan on Friday made her first public appearance since her husband's funeral and burial ceremonies. She greeted the aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan as it arrived at its homeport in San Diego.

"In my heart, I know he's looking down on us today and smiling," she told the crew and visitors, according to wire reports.

Cragg Hines is a Houston Chronicle columnist based in Washington, D.C. ([log in to unmask])