Does the thought of an elected US Congressman serving as the head of a biased
industry lobbying group alarm anyone?  Let's forget for a moment that he is a
Democrat heading an Industry Lobby group that this board supports.  He is
supposed to be a Congressman representing the people.  While it is appropriate
for Congressman to listen to industry lobby groups it is never appropriate for
them to head them or belong to them in any capacity.  He has accepted this
position while still in office where he was supposed to be representing you and I.

Recusing himself from hearings does not go far enough.  He should resign.
This is the same as any elected official accepting a check from a company or
industry and announcing it's OK I'm not cashing it until I'm out of office.  This
is the same way of contorting logic Bill Clinton used regarding sex.  The end
does not justify the means.  Your desires and wishes should never justify any
means to obtain them.

If he were heading a right to life group what would this board say?  They
would be outraged.  They should be outraged if he did that.  They should be
outraged that he is doing this.  Not because heading any lobby group is wrong but
because the ethics of it are so blatantly bad they damage the ethical standing
of any congressman.  When the ethical standing of any Congressman is dirtied
they taint all that they stand for.

Theresa Rehtom