FROM: Parkinson's Action Network

PARKINSON’S COMMUNITY MOURNS

THE LOSS OF MILLY KONDRACKE

(Washington, DC) – The Parkinson’s Action Network (PAN) today mourns the
loss of Milly Kondracke after her long struggle with Parkinson’s disease.
 She was 64.

Said Jeffrey C. Martin, PAN Board Chairman: “Our thoughts and prayers are
with Mort and his daughters on this sad and terrible day.  We hope the
Kondracke family will take some comfort in the knowledge that Milly was
not just a strong, wonderful wife and mother, and a good friend, but also
a tireless advocate who relentlessly fought to find a cure for her
disease.”

Millicent Martinez Kondracke, the wife of journalist, television
commentator and PAN Board Member Mort Kondracke, suffered from
Parkinson’s disease for 17 years.  After her diagnosis, she came to
embody the continuing fight for a cure through advocacy.  Mrs. Kondracke
became well known on Capitol Hill and in the media, calling for increased
funding for the National Institutes of Health as well as for federal
support for stem cell research.  In 2002, PAN created the Milly Kondracke
Award for Advocacy in her honor, and it is awarded every year at the
Morris K. Udall Awards Dinner.

“Milly personified advocacy,” said PAN Executive Director Amy L.
Comstock. “I hope that the advocates fighting for a cure today will learn
from her extraordinary example.”

In 2001, Mort Kondracke authored a book about their marriage and fight
against Parkinson’s disease, entitled, Saving Milly: Love, Politics and
Parkinson’s Disease.

“Milly Kondracke was an amazing person.  She had one of the strongest
wills I’ve ever seen.  And her strength was always there.  Even when she
lost the ability to speak, I could see it in her beautiful, big brown
eyes.  But she couldn’t stop Parkinson’s disease from robbing her of
everything else.  It’s a devastating loss.  Milly’s determination to help
stop Parkinson’s disease will continue to inspire all of us.” said PAN
President Joan Samuelson.

Mrs. Kondracke is survived by her husband; her two daughters, Alexandra,
a filmmaker in Los Angeles, and Andrea, a physician in New York; her
sister, Alexandra Wheeler, an artist living in London, and an extended
family of foster sisters and brothers.

A Memorial Service will be held at 11:30am on Tuesday, August 3, 2004 at
St. Columba’s Episcopal Church, 4201 Albemarle Street, NW, Washington,
D.C.  There will be a private burial at Rock Creek Cemetery.

Founded in 1991, PAN is the unified education and advocacy voice of the
Parkinson’s community—over one million Americans and their families.
Through education and interaction with the Parkinson’s community,
scientists, lawmakers, opinion leaders, and the public, PAN fights for a
cure by increasing awareness about Parkinson’s disease and seeks
increased federal support for Parkinson’s research.  For more information
on the Parkinson’s Action Network, please visit www.parkinsonsaction.org
or call 1-800-850-4726.