On 21 Jul 2004 at 11:11, Maxine Krugman wrote:

> was wondering the same thing as dr fink...names  mean very little
> unless we can find out when and where published?  thanks maxine

>>2. Mucuna pruriens in Parkinson’s disease: A double-blind clinical and
pharmacological study R Katzenschlager, A Evans, A Manson, PN Patsalos,
Ratnaraj, H Watt, L Timmermann, R Van de Giessen, AJ Lees P710, S249

Levodopa-containing seed powder from Mucuna pruriens (cowhage, velvet
bean, atmagupta) produces a rapid-onset symptomatic treatment for
Parkinson’s disease, according to this study.

Eight patients with dyskinesias were randomized to receive either 200 mg
levodopa or 15 or 30 mg M. pruriens followed by crossover. Onset of effect
for the 30 mg dose was 34.6 minutes, vs. 68.5 minutes for levodopa (p =
0.021). Mean on time was 22% longer and area under the curve was 165%
larger. No differences were seen in dyskinesias as assessed by two blinded
video raters.<<

This was re-posted and the article, although of some interest, is very limited
in its scope.  Only 8 patients were involved, and two "blinded" observers
(blinded to who was getting what, of course!) saw no difference in 25% of the
cases.  Much more research will be necessary before Mucuna pruriens can be
considered of value in Parkinson's disease.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
Neurological Surgery
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, CA  94704-2636  USA
510-849-2555     FAX: 510-849-2557
<http://www.rafink.com/>
"Ex Tristitia Virtus"

Disclaimer:  That which is written in my e-mail is not to be
considered as "medical advice".  Such advice can only be
given after a formal, in-person, consultation between
doctor and patient.