Many of us heard Ron Reagan's call at the Democratic National Convention on
Tuesday for people to vote for a presidential candidate who advocates an
end to restrictions on embryonic stem cell research.  I enjoyed his speech,
and I was particularly impressed by the fact that he illustrated his speech
with Parkinson's Disease.

Who was his audience?  Was it the delegates sitting there in Boston?  Was
it the electorate who had planned to vote for the Democratic Party across
the U.S.?  Were his motives altruistic and intended only to express his
strong feelings on the subject?  I hope so, and I certainly don't accuse
him of anything else.

But consider this:  His audience was also President Bush and the Republican
Party.  His eloquently delivered message might also be interpreted in this
manner: "Mr. Bush, change your stance and end the restrictions on stem cell
research.  Follow my lead and my mother's [Nancy Reagan's] lead."  His
speech ended, "Whatever else you do come November 2nd, I urge you, please,
cast a vote for embryonic stem cell research."  According to Murray
Charters' recent posting, "75 Percent of Americans Support Call For More
Stem Cell Research," and Ron Reagan has urged them to vote for Kerry.  But
if President Bush changes his stance, responds to the populace, and begins
to support embryonic stem cell research, then Reagan's message to all of
the Democrats assembled in Boston and people listening on television
throughout the U.S. is no longer necessarily supportive of Kerry.

Now, wouldn't that be interesting?  It might give Mr.Bush the Reagan's
votes and the votes of many others who will follow the Reagans, and it
might get Mr.Bush reelected.  And that's not exactly what the Democrats
were hoping for when they asked him to speak.  But more important, it could
get embryonic stem cell research in the U.S. back on track  - something
that most of us on this list (and apparently a majority of the U.S.
population) would like to see.

Art