I can remember sitting on a blanket, on a hot summer evening in a neighbors yard, since they were the only ones on the street with a  television, in 1952, watching the Republican convention. Air conditioning was as scarce as televisions back then, so they put their tv in their dining room window for the neighbors to see from far and wide. A neighbor would bring a big jug of iced tea or a cold watermelon and would share. The convention was nominating Dwight Eisenhower as the Republican candidate who eventually  was elected by the voters.

Dad was a Democrat but Mum was a Republican. They used to laugh at cancelling each others vote.  It was a time of innocence, ten cent hamburgers and five cent Cokes.

Watching and listening to the convention this week brought back memories to a time before,  when a politician when bought, he stayed bought, political disputes were settled with an occasional fist fight and the terminology of politics was easy to understand, before spin doctors. The door was never locked and hobos were always fed. Faith and charity was practiced but never bragged about.

My dad worked hard on the railroad, starting at 50 cents a day in 1912 but in the early 50s made good money, about $15 a day. We were blessed.

The speeches this week and the mentioning of Parkinson's research caused my heart to flutter, knowing full well that over the past 11 years we have lived and died on the mention of a possible cure.

Being fair minded, I am waiting to hear "the rest of the story" when the Republicans meet. They will jump on the stem cell bandwagon also but "devil will be in the details". Their proposal will increase stem cell research in all areas with the exception of fetal stem cell research and researchers will have to pass a "litmus test" to get funded. It's been reported in the news this week.

Biotech organizations and their polling organizations report a ground swell in support for "stem cell research" but they caution us to not politicize it. Their industry is betting on both sides as being a win win for their bottom lines.

Is the Parkinson's community going to be like a herd of sheep?

If Kerry is elected, within the first 100 days we will sign an Executive Order allowing the inclusion of new cell lines. The funding will have to be appropriated by Congress. The "devil will be in the details" of what ever passes Congress. We will have to return next session to strongly state our case.

If Bush is elected, he will propose increased funding for "Stem Cell" research. The "devil will be in the details". Congress will have to pass the increased funding. We will have to return next session to strongly state our case. The infiltration of the NIH will continue and use of the "litmus test" will be used to authorize Grants from this increased funding.

To our international readers, Americans vote for an electoral slate of delegates that meet after the election to decide who will be President. "Safe" states have historically voted for the same political party for President. "Toss-up" or "battle ground" states are the ones in play so the other votes are taken for granted by Presidential campaigns.

Voters in Missouri, Ohio, Michigan, Florida and Arizona will determine the outcome.

Parkinsonians, if you don't live in a battle ground state there is still work for you. You have to be single purposely driven, finding the cure is the only thing that matters when selecting a new congressman or new senator. Know where your candidates stand on the issues that concern you. Volunteer, if you can, if you can't, talk to your neighbors and family about the importance of this election cycle. We are counting on one another to return the red and blue states to the United States, one nation, under God, indivisible....

 John Cottingham