CALL FOR PAPERS
40th International Congress on Medieval Studies at Western Michigan
University, May 5-8, 2005
Medieval and Renaissance Drama Society (MRDS)

In addition to our session on PUTTING PERFORMANCE IN ITS PLACE: TOPOGRAPHY
AND MEANING IN EARLY DRAMA, advertised on REED-L and PERFORM earlier by
organizer Rob Barrett, the Medieval and Renaissance Drama Society will be
sponsoring three more sessions at the 40th International Medieval Congress
in May 2005. Below are brief descriptions of those sessions. Organizers may
choose to send our expanded descriptions themselves, so don't be surprised
if you see these topics posted again here. :-)

1) Early Drama and the Muslim World
Few scholars have explored the early exchange of performance traditions
between Christian Europe and its Muslim neighbors, despite the fact that
Spain's performance traditions are known to have been influenced by Arab
tradition and festivals at the Turkish court were shaped by festive
traditions of Renaissance. This session will offer a forum to begin
discussions of cultural exchange. 20-minute papers welcome.

3) The Influence of Glynne Wickham on Early Drama Studies: A Session in His
Memory
This session in memory of Glynne Wickham invites papers discussing
Wickham's work and/or discussing topics explored, shaped, or inspired by
his scholarship.  Since Wickham died in early 2004, the session provides a
timely reconsideration of his wide-reaching influence on early drama
studies. 20-minute papers welcome.

4) Technology and Early Drama: Teaching and Research Tools and Tactics
The increased presence of technology in early drama teaching and research
has inspired us to offer a round table discussion on technology and its
application to early drama studies. The session will provide a much-needed
venue for drama scholars to hear a variety of views on the technological
tools and tactics available for use in teaching and conducting research on
early drama. 8-10 minute presentations preferred.

Abstracts of no more than 1 page should be submitted to me by Sept. 15 via
e-mail at <[log in to unmask]> with an accompanying cover sheet,
available on the Congress's web site at
<http://www.wmich.edu/medieval/congress/40cfp/forms.html>. Since I pass
these abstracts on to session organizers who must then pass rejected
abstracts on to conference general session organizers, meeting the deadline
is extremely important. Early submissions are always welcome.   :-)

We look forward to hearing from some enthusiastic participants. If you have
further questions, please contact me.

Cheers,

Gloria Betcher

Gloria J. Betcher, Ph.D.
Associate Editor, _Early Theatre_
Secretary/Treasurer, Medieval and Renaissance Drama Society
Dept. of English
Iowa State University
206 Ross Hall
Ames, IA 50011