Dear Ms Betcher,  What a wonderful subject!!!  I wish I had something
to contribute becuase you have struck on something very important to
my work which I have never been able to convince my colleagues in
Spanish ever happened.  I am just finishing a book on Marwari (that's
a language in the Marwari ethnic area of Rajasthan, India) Khyal,
which is a form of theatre that never made the separation between the
dramatic and the epic styles of performance.  It is sung and goes on
for hours.  FURTHERMORE....the poetic style is the same as the mester
de clereci'a which was the common, learned poetic form used in XIII
century Spain, which is very similar to the form in which _Das
Nibelungenlied_ is written.  Incidentally, I lived in India for many
years and point out other similar art forms that are similar, such as
Kathak and Flamenco dance which are really differt styles of the same
form.  Anyway, I am looking to this session very much as I am sure to
find some of the links I have been seeking for a long time.  I cannot
convince my colleagues in Spanish, here that there is any connection
at all, so you can imagine my exitement to find someone with the very
connections I am seeking.  Incidentally, my book includes three
translations of plays and I also speak Spanish & German.
yrs,
C. Thomas Ault, Ph.D.
Department of Theatre & Dance
Indiana University of Pennsylvania