The source of this article is Cleveland Clinic Florida: http://tinyurl.com/6zuxz

How would you like to share your Medical Appointments with other people with Parkinson's? The Cleveland Clinic at Naples and Weston. This information is from their FAQ.

Shared Medical Appointments Program: Frequently Asked Questions

What is a Shared Medical Appointment?
A Shared Medical Appointment (SMA) is a 90-minute physician appointment, in the company of other patients who share your similar condition, and counts as a routine follow-up visit. An SMA offers the usual procedures of a doctor’s appointment such as exams, lab reviews and discussions with your physician about your personal situation. In addition, an SMA gives you a great deal of extra time with your doctor, no time spent in the waiting room, and the opportunity to learn from the questions and comments of others with your medical conditions. Most patients will leave with a great deal more information, answers to questions they never thought to ask, and sometimes, new friends. Shared Medical Appointments are currently available for the following programs:

Diabetes Type 2
Gastric Bypass/Banding
Parkinson’s

What about privacy and confidentiality?
You will enjoy the same standards you would expect at a routine follow-up visit. Although the SMA will be conducted in a group format, all participants will sign a notice of confidentiality. All personal information discussed during your visit remains confidential. If your conditions might require a private examination, the physician will examine you outside of the group setting. Your privacy will always be respected.

If I take advantage of the Shared Medical Appointment once, do I always have to visit my doctor this way?
Absolutely not, the SMA was designed to allow patients to spend more time with their physician and gain helpful information. Many patients who try an SMA will want to return, but you are under no obligation to do so and may always go back for a private appointment. Also, you do not have to come every week. You register for an SMA just as you would a regular physician’s visit, when the doctor asks you to come back.

Will my insurance pay for this?
Yes. The appointment is billed the same as a regular appointment. There are no extra charges for the extra time, and your insurance will cover it just as it would cover a typical visit.

Can I still get my prescriptions if I participate in Shared Medical Appointments?
Yes, anything you would normally do in an office visit can be accomplished during an SMA. When you leave, you will have any prescriptions the physician deems appropriate.

Can I bring a family member or friend with me?
Yes. It is fine to have a family member or support person present in the SMA. All “guests” will be asked to sign the same confidentiality statement that the patients do.

Why should I participate in a Shared Medical Appointment?
Participating in an SMA will offer you an opportunity to spend more time with your doctor as well as a small group of other patients affected by the same medical issues as you. The group setting provides a supportive environment that allows patients to develop acquaintances that share common concerns.

More Information
To learn more about Shared Medical Appointments or to schedule an appointment, please refer to the following numbers, for each of the available SMA programs.

Diabetes Type 2
954-659-5271

Gastric Bypass/Banding
954-659-5239