Parkinson's And You, A New Website For Younger People
Medical News Today, UK - 04 Aug 2004

Parkinson's And You has been funded by a research grant from the PDS, and is the
result of a research project by Angela Birleson, an Occupational Therapist. A
steering group of younger people with Parkinson's from the North East of England
guided the development of the site.

Parkinson's And You
http://www.parkinsons.org.uk/pds/parkinsonsandyou/index.htm

Angela is still seeking contributions from people with Parkinson's of working age
about their experiences of employment. The deadline for submitting your opinions is
17 September 2004.

"Employment is such a major issue for younger people with Parkinson's yet most
people don't receive any assistance to enable them to either maintain their
employment or to make an informed decision to leave. I hope that all the invaluable
experiences that people will donate to this site will serve to provide that much
needed assistance." Angela Birleson

Although all people with Parkinson's have their own challenges to face, younger
people with this condition often have quite specific issues, a major one of which is
employment. Studies have identified that many people with Parkinson's experience
difficulty in trying to maintain their employment. The effect of loss of employment is
more than a reduction in finances, some people experience a reduced social circle,
feel a loss of identity and become more 'home orientated'. Despite this, people
rarely receive intervention to help them to maintain employment.

The Parkinson's And You website aims to help people with Parkinson's make
informed decisions about employment. Questions that people typically want
answers to may include:

-- 'How do I tell my employer'

-- 'What sort of equipment might I be able to get to help me with my work?'

-- 'Can I go part-time?'

-- 'I want to leave work, but want to ensure that I get the best financial package'

The PDS recently published a report on Employment and Parkinson's, which
published the results from a survey across the UK investigating the factors critical in
enabling or preventing people with Parkinson's of working age remaining in
employment. The report also sets out several recommendations for employers, the
Government and people with Parkinson's. The PDS also publishes a series of
information sheets on rights and benefits. For further information, please visit the
Money and Employment pages of this website.

SOURCE: Medical News Today, UK - 04 Aug 2004
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/printerfriendlynews.php?newsid=11663

* * *