KENTUCKY: Mongiardo For Embryonic Stem Cell Research
By Feoshia Henderson Post staff reporter

Publication Date: 08-04-2004

Democratic U.S. Senate candidate Daniel Mongiardo said Tuesday he supported
expanding embryonic stem cell research as a possible way to cure a range of
diseases.

"With stem cell research, we're talking about the potential to cure diseases like
diabetes, cancer, Parkinson's, and Alzheimer's," Mongiardo, a physician, said in a
statement announcing his position. "I lost my mother to cancer when she was 47
years old. No family should ever have to suffer that kind of loss."

Mongiardo, a state senator from Hazard, is running against U.S. Sen. Jim Bunning,
R-Southgate. Mongiardo is a surgeon and chief of staff of Appalachian Regional
Medical Center in Hazard.

Embryonic stem cell research involves extracting stem cells from developing human
embryos less than a week old. Researchers say the young stem cells can be
manipulated by scientists to "grow" new tissue that could treat a number of
diseases.

Many anti-abortion groups are opposed to embryonic stem cell research because
the embryo is destroyed in the extraction process.

Bunning campaign manager David Young said Bunning favored adult stem cell
research, which uses stem cells taken from adult tissue. Proponents of embryonic
research say the adult stem cells are less promising because they cannot be as
easily directed as embryonic stem cells to become new tissue.

"Sen. Bunning supports stem cell research and realizes the possibilities it can have
to help cure diseases. (He) favors adult stem-cell research and opposes embryonic
stem-cell research," Young said.

Mongiardo said Bunning supported "extremist ideology."

"Politics of the extreme right, not science, stand in the way of groundbreaking stem
cell research that could help save millions of lives," Mongiardo said.

Young said, "Sen. Bunning believes we need to ensure both a scientific and ethical
balance in this arena."

Ron Reagan Jr., the son of the late President Reagan, drew national attention to
the issue last week when he addressed the Democratic National Convention in
favor of stem cell research.

President Reagan, who suffered from Alzheimer's disease for nearly 10 years, died
June 5.

In 2001, President Bush limited federally funded research to a small line of embryo
stem cells already available for the purpose of research.

A bill pending in Congress would allow excess embryonic stem cells donated from
in vitro fertilization clinics to be used for federal research. According to the bill, only
embryos that would be discarded and not implanted in a woman as part of fertility
treatments could be used.

SOURCE: Kentucky Post, KY - 08-04-2004
http://www.kypost.com/2004/08/04/stem080404.html

* * *