Bunning Pressed On Stem Cells - Opponent Backs Wider Research
By Patrick Crowley - Enquirer staff writer

Cincinnati Enquirer Local News, Wednesday, August 4, 2004

FORT WRIGHT - In a harsh challenge, U.S. Senate candidate Dr. Daniel
Mongiardo called on Republican incumbent Jim Bunning to change his position on
stem cell research.

Mongiardo, a Democrat and surgeon from eastern Kentucky, supports an expanded
use of stem cells in medical research.

Bunning, a Southgate Republican seeking a second Senate term, supports limited
use of the human cells. But in a position taken by many conservatives - including
President Bush - Bunning does not favor harvesting stem cells from human
embryos.

'Ethical balance'

"Sen. Bunning supports stem cell research and realizes the possibilities it can have
to help cure diseases," said David Young, Bunning's campaign manager.

"Sen. Bunning believes we need to ensure both a scientific and ethical balance in
this arena," Young said Tuesday.

Scientists believe stem cells can be used to repair organs or treat diseases such as
diabetes, Parkinson's and Alzheimer's. But because stem cells are typically
removed from days-old human embryos that are later destroyed when the cells are
extracted, many anti-abortion activists oppose the research.

Bush has ordered sharp restrictions on federal funding of embryonic stem cell
research, allowing it only for stem cell lines created before Aug. 9, 2001.

Issue 'hijacked'

Mongiardo said those restrictions limit the research that can be performed on stem
cells.

"As a doctor I have seen too many patients suffer from disease that stem cells might
cure," Mongiardo said in a statement. "Yet President Bush and politicians like Jim
Bunning on the extreme right have hijacked this issue for their own narrow political
gain.

"Politics of the extreme right, not science, stand in the way of groundbreaking stem
cell research that could help save millions of lives," Mongiardo said. "Why does
Sen. Jim Bunning stand in the way of curing diseases harming so many
Kentuckians?

"We can't afford to ignore research that holds such promise to end so much pain
and suffering," he said. "As a U.S. senator, I will not turn my back on these
families."

E-mail [log in to unmask]

SOURCE: Cincinnati Enquirer Local News, Aug 4, 2004
http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2004/08/04/loc_kystemcells04.html

* * *