MIAMI: Patients, Advocates and Scientists to 'Rally for Cures' on Anniversary of Stem Cell Decision
U.S. Newswire (press release), DC
8/5/2004 3:58:00 PM

To: Assignment Desk, Daybook Editor

Contact: Ryan Kuresman of GCSA,
202-293-5870; 703-346-6851 (cell);
Web: http://www.genpol.org

News Advisory: Stem Cell Awareness Day: 'Rally for Cures' Aug. 9

The Genetics Policy Institute (GPI) will co-host the Stem Cell Awareness Day:
"Rally for Cures" with the Miami Project to Cure Paralysis of the University of Miami
on August 9, 2004 to mark the three-year anniversary of the Bush Administration's
decision on funding of embryonic stem cell research.

What: Stem Cell Awareness Day: "Rally for Cures"

When: August 9 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.

Where: Lois Pope LIFE Center, 1095 Northwest 14th Terrace, University of Miami
(Located at the South edge of Medical campus). Conference will be held on the 7th
Floor, Auditorium

Why: Patient, advocates and scientists rally for public policy supporting future cures

Speakers include:

-- Janet Reno, former United States Attorney General

-- Bernard Siegel, GPI Executive Director

-- Sabrina Cohen, GPI advocate and spinal cord injury patient

-- Alison Landes, President, Take Charge Cure Parkinson's (caregiver)

-- W. Dalton Dietrich, III, Ph.D. Scientific Director, Miami Project to Cure Paralysis

-- Juan Dominguez Bendala, MSc, Ph.D. Diabetes Research Institute, University of
Miami

-- Additional patient advocates TBD

Who: The public and media are invited to attend

"As we stand at the crossroads of science and public policy, we must not lose sight
of how these decisions impact patients and their families," said GPI Executive
Director Bernard Siegel, "This coming Monday will mark three years of dwindling
hope that our policy makers will breakthrough the stalemate surrounding stem cell
research and the establishment of responsible polices that clear a path for funding
and investigative research into treatments and cures for diseases like Alzheimer's,
Parkinson's, diabetes and spinal cord injuries."

"On Monday, we will stand united as patients, advocates and scientists rallying for
the hope of future cures and urging our leaders to stand with us to protect and
foster stem cell research," said Siegel, "We must bring hope to those suffering and
work towards a consensus on this divisive issue."

---

The Genetics Policy Institute (GPI) is the leading international nonprofit
organization dedicated to establishing a legal framework to advance scientific
research for future cures and is a leading defender of stem cell research worldwide.
Please visit us online at http://www.genpol.org

http://www.usnewswire.com/

-0-

SOURCE: U.S. Newswire (press release), DC
http://releases.usnewswire.com/GetRelease.asp?id=125-08052004

* * *