The source of this article is the Knoxville News: http://tinyurl.com/62gpn
Olympic flame still burning in Campbell
Forty-year ticket holder with Parkinson's ailing on trip to Greece

By STEVE AHILLEN, [log in to unmask]
August 11, 2004

Gerry Campbell's body is letting him down a little. OK, maybe more than a little, but Gerry likes to stay positive. He is battling the crippling effects of Parkinson's disease. In addition, his backbone is a train wreck with disks scattered like box cars barely still attached.

"I've had better days," admits Campbell, who at age 74 can easily recall the 14 marathons he ran during those better times. "I couldn't run across the living room now."

But, heck, Campbell isn't complaining much. A sports junkie, he has seen and done a lot. He watched Michigan beat California in the 1950 Rose Bowl. He ran the 1980 New York Marathon with Alberto Salazar. He has been to Davis Cup matches, pro golf tournaments, Lady Vols' NCAA basketball championships and football and baseball games across the country.

Campbell's real passion is the Summer Olympics. He has attended every one since 1964, except the boycotted Games of 1980 in Moscow.

Tuesday, he got on a plane for Athens. He's going again.

"I always had a dream about the Olympics," said Campbell of his fascination with the Games. "I always paid attention to them growing up and dreamed of being there."

So, he went and went and went. These will be his 10th Olympics.

His first Games came in Tokyo where he watched Billy Mills win the 10,000 meters, Don Schollander dominate swimming and Bullet Bob Hayes rule the sprints.

Campbell says he has no favorite Olympic performance, but he has seen many of the great moments.

"I had my 8 millimeter camera out for Bob Beamon's record in Mexico City," he said. "We didn't know it was a record until they got out the metal measuring stick."

Beamon's long jump of 29 feet, 21/2 inches in 1968 surpassed the world record by nearly two feet and was considered one of the most amazing feats in Olympic history.

Meeting four-time discus gold medalist Al Oerter and Olympic distance-running great Emil Zatopek on a bus ride in Mexico City was a highlight.

He says his favorite Games were in Seoul, South Korea, in 1988. . As a veteran of the Korean conflict, Campbell had a little history there.

"To see how those people had come back to rebuild that country and host the Games was amazing," he said. "The children were so cute, and the people were just as nice and cordial as they could be."

By contrast, he didn't think much of the Atlanta Games of 1996 .

"The athletes and performances were great, but the venues were Green Acres flea market," he said. "It was kind of embarrassing."

Campbell, retired from TVA, makes his Olympic trips through a track-and-field tour group. He said Monday that he would be going with a group of 40 or so to Athens.

"I always see the track and field," he said. "And, this time I have tickets for the Opening Ceremonies on the fifth row. I'm going to cycling and swimming and diving . . ."

He starts to sound like a little kid reading off his list of birthday presents.

Just like a little kid, having the time of his life.

  Copyright 2004, Knoxville News-Sentinel Co.