The source of this article is WESH NewsChannel2000: http://tinyurl.com/4694h
Local - WESH NewsChannel2000.com

Republicans Debate For Senate Seat

Wed Aug 11,11:58 AM ET  Add Local - WESH NewsChannel2000.com to My Yahoo!

Four Republicans vying to replace retiring Sen. Bob Graham (news, bio, voting record) tried to make their best cases to Florida voters in a debate televised Tuesday evening on WESH NewsChannel 2.

Bill McCollum, Mel Martinez, Johnnie Byrd and Doug Gallagher squared off in an hour-long debate in the NewsChannel 2 studios. They discussed a variety of issues including stem cells, prescription drugs and the war in Iraq (news - web sites).

On most issues, the candidates held similar positions, including their support of President George W. Bush (news - web sites)'s economic policies and his handling of the war in Iraq.

On the economy, all four candidates agreed that President Bush (news - web sites)'s tax cuts should be made permanent. Gallagher pointed to his successful career in the private sector and said he thinks more businessman and women are needed in Washington instead of career politicians -- a theme he has hammered on throughout his campaign.

Martinez quipped that he'd like to keep Gallagher in the private economy, and said he would "stay the course" because he thinks Bush's economic policies are beginning to show benefits.

There was some dissension on stem cell research. McCollum said he thinks Republicans can still be pro-life and support enhancements to stem cell research. He said he supports using unneeded fertilized eggs created for in-vitro fertilization efforts rather than discarding the eggs.

"I think in that situation, it's very pro-life to allow the use of those fertilized eggs for research that perhaps would lead to cures for diabetes or Parkinson's disease, in particular. And I think that's a very pro-life position to take," he said.

Byrd said he disagreed with creating a human embryo and then destroying it to "mine it for tissue." He said he thinks the issue is being raised this year in an attempt to embarrass President Bush.

"I think his [Bush's] position is sound, and there are many, many other ways we will prevent and cure Alzheimer's besides creating human embryos and destroying them in the process," Byrd said.

The debate took on a spirited air when the candidates were allowed to question each other. Gallagher -- who polls far behind frontrunners McCollum and Martinez -- had a question for each of them. "As a personal injury lawyer, you made a living suing the likes of Disney and SeaWorld and even the First Baptist Church of Orlando in slip-and-fall cases," Gallagher asked Martinez. "'Yes' or 'no', Mel, will you join Mickey Mouse, Shamu, me and even the Lord himself by finally endorsing a $250,000 cap on medical malpractice?"

Martinez responded by saying he's a strong supporter of tort reform. He touted his support from the Republican leadership in the United States Senate on this issue, and throughout the debate, he made several references to his recent time serving in President Bush's cabinet.

Gallagher questioned McCollum about his statewide appeal, since he lost the Senate race in 2000 to Democrat Bill Nelson.

"In the short time remaining in this campaign, how can you possibly instill charisma into your campaign or cause people to vote for you over the Democrats in November?" he asked.

"The singular issue in this campaign that was not there in the last campaign is national security," McCollum answered.

"I am the one candidate in this race -- of either party -- who doesn't need on-the-job training to go to the United States Senate to represent the people of Florida on a host of issues, but especially terrorism and national security," he said.

On the war in Iraq, all four candidates agreed that there should be no deadline set for a withdrawal of troops.

To comment on this story, send an e-mail to Greg Fox