NEWS RELEASE
Governor James E. McGreevey
August 9, 2004

FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Micah Rasmussen - 609-777-2600

McGREEVEY LETTER TO PRESIDENT BUSH ON ANNIVERSARY OF STEM CELL BAN
(TRENTON)-Governor James E. McGreevey sent a letter today to President
George W. Bush, recognizing the third anniversary of the President's ban
on Federal funding for human embryonic stem cell research and urging the
President to modify his policy on that research.
The text of the letter is below.

August 9, 2004
The Honorable George W. Bush
President of the United States
The White House
Washington, DC 20500
Dear Mr. President,
Today marks the third anniversary of your August 9, 2001 decision to ban
federal funding for any new lines of human embryonic stem cells.
This issue has come a long way in three years.
Just last month a team of scientists at Cambridge University in England
announced an ambitious five-year goal: A treatment for Parkinson's
disease, based on stem cell research that will be funded in part by the
U.K. Medical Research Council. The director of this effort in England is
Professor Roger Pedersen - an American and a leading stem cell researcher
who left the United States specifically because of the restrictions you
imposed in 2001.
How many brilliant scientists will our great Nation lose under your ban
on funding for this research?
On the third anniversary of your decision I urge you, as I did in March:
Please modify your Administration's restrictions. Please allow America's
talented researchers the chance to perform this groundbreaking research
here, in the United States.

In June, President Ronald Reagan's long battle with Alzheimer's disease
finally ended, and he now rests in peace. His death reminds us all that
thousands of individuals suffer from this cruel disease and from other
degenerative disorders. Thousands of families suffer with them.
While we mourn and honor President Reagan we must keep in mind the words
of his gracious widow, who has declared her determination to "do whatever
I can to save other families from this pain."
Your policy does allow Federal funding for research using stem cell lines
that were developed before August 9, 2001. This was offered as a
compromise, but functions as little more than an outright ban on human
embryonic stem cell research. Some of the existing lines turned out to be
unsuitable for medical research. The rest will not be adequate to help
scientists develop the possibilities in the battle against disease and
disability.
Very recently, Dr. Douglas Melton of Harvard University developed 17
promising new stem cell lines - but, due to your Administration's
restrictions, these lines are available to only a small number of
researchers. Dr. Melton's stem cell line is available only to scientists
who work with private money, and he is providing those cells free of
charge. Researchers must pay at least $5,000 for the cells your
Administration currently approves.
In the absence of a realistic Federal policy, the burden of action has
fallen on the shoulders of the States and industry. I'm proud to say New
Jersey has taken action with unmatched energy and compassion.
In January New Jersey became the second State in the nation to legalize
stem cell research. Our law prohibits human cloning but allows new cell
lines to be developed, enabling scientists to pursue a full range of
research.
And now New Jersey is doing what no State has done - we are investing
State funds to build the New Jersey Stem Cell Institute as a joint
project with the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, and
Rutgers University. With $9.5 million invested from this year's State
budget, we will begin recruiting top scientists from around the world.
But New Jersey and the other States that are supporting stem cell
research cannot do it alone. This research must become a national
priority. Federal resources are essential if we are to fulfill the
promise of treatments and cures for the most confounding medical
problems.
Your Administration does appear to be responding to criticism about its
restrictive policy. But the responses we have seen do not go far enough.
On July 14, U.S. Health and Human Services Secretary Tommy Thompson wrote
to House Speaker Dennis Hastert about plans to supplement the use of
pre-August 9, 2001 stem cell lines.
Secretary Thompson wrote, "Before anyone can successfully argue that the
stem cell policy should be broadened, we must first exhaust the
potential" of these existing lines. I welcome this initiative, but it is
not sufficient. The Federal government is still banned from supporting
the development of new cells that would be used in advanced research.
Progress is inevitable. Already, the work of Dr. Wise Young from Rutgers
University on spinal cord injuries is a source of inspiration and hope to
families across the world. Dr. Ira Black of UMDNJ has proved for the
first time that mature stem cells taken from bone marrow can be implanted
in a developing brain, eventually changing into healthy brain cells. Both
of these pioneers will be guiding the Stem Cell Institute of New Jersey.
But, as President Reagan's death has made real to so many Americans, we
do not have the luxury of time. People are suffering tremendously. Loved
ones are dying.
I urge you to change your policy and free up Federal funding for human
embryonic stem cell research. America and the world are waiting for this
help.
With all good wishes,
JAMES E. McGREEVEY
Governor of New Jersey