Local Woman Helps In Fight Against Parkinson's Disease
Jeff DiVeronica - Staff writer - [log in to unmask]
SOURCE: The Rochester Democrat and Chronicle, NY

(August 19, 2004) — Nancy Abraham was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease at
the age of 41.

Nine years later, not only is she organizing a charity golf event to help fight
Parkinson's, but she has helped build a network for those afflicted by it and also
received a national award for her work.

"I hate having Parkinson's, but it has pushed me to do things I never thought I would
or could do, things that I hope will make a difference to the Parkinson's community,"
said the Webster resident and graduate of Our Lady of Mercy High School.

Six years ago, Abraham and Brenda Tucker met in an Internet chat room for those
who have the disease. They struck up a friendship, met in person months later and
at a cabin in the Smoky Mountains in Tennessee decided to start a Web site to help
people with Parkinson's.

The site was launched April 1, 2001, and is called "People Living With Parkinson's."
Its address is http://www.plwp.org

The site has about 1,000 members from all over the world and contains information
on symptoms, links to articles and contacts for support groups.

"Getting the word out to fight this disease is very important, because it is affecting
more and more of us at an early age," said Abraham, who retired three years ago
after 17 years with Bausch & Lomb, the major sponsor for Tuesday's PLWP golf
tournament at Caledonia Country Club.

Spots are still available for this year's event; details are on the Web site. The
tournament had 109 golfers last year and raised nearly $10,000.

Abraham and Tucker received a national humanitarian award in May 2003 in New
York City for their efforts.

They also met a man in the chat room a few years ago, and after months of
chatting, he said he wanted to tell them who he really was.

It was actor Michael J. Fox, who also has Parkinson's.

"Yeah, right," Abraham said. "We didn't know whether to believe him or not."

But after Fox arranged for Abraham and Tucker to be guests at a taping of the Fox
sitcom Spin City, they were convinced.

"He treated us like queens," said Abraham, a mother of two who has been married
for 30 years. "It's probably one of the most exciting things that ever happened to
me."

SOURCE: The Rochester Democrat and Chronicle, NY
http://tinyurl.com/7y439

* * *