Dr Fink --

I'm not really sure what you're talking about.

Last December, the Bush administration reversed a Clinton administration
policy and granted a $2 million subsidy to private lumber companies to
clear-cut 800 year old timber in America's largest intact rain forest, the
Tongass National Forest in Alaska.  This clearcutting effort yielded gross
income to the US treasury of $45,000 on the taxpayers' investment of $2
million dollars.  The profit all went to the private lumber companies.

On July 12th, the Bush administration proposed extending this program of
subsidizing private lumber companies in their clear cutting of national
forests to extend to all national forests, not just the Tongass National
Forest.

I think that your statement that the government can't give funds to a lumber
company to do this is just factually incorrect because the Bush
administration is doing just that.

Regarding stem cell research, I agree that that a sizable minority of people
agree that certain types of stem cell research is immoral.  I also agree
that it is legitimate in some cases to prohibit such work to be done with
public money.  What I think most people object to is that this decision was
not made for moral or scientific reasons but for purely political and
selfish reasons.  By the way, I have no problems with decisions being made
for political reasons.  However, I don't think it's right to purposefully
misrepresent the rationale for such decisions and pretend that the decisions
were made for supposed scientific or moral reasons.  The reasons put forth
by the administration for these decisions are unsupportable by any
scientific standard.

Furthermore, there are some in the US Government who are attempting
criminalize the act of a patient receiving medical treatment if that
treatment was derived from *legal* research performed using embryos
generated from asexual reproduction (ie reproduction not involving a sperm
cell and and egg cell).  Patients receiving such treatment would be subject
to a fine and imprisonment for up to 10 years in a federal penitentiary or
both fine and imprisonment.  This is so even if the research and treatment
were paid for entirely with private funds.

Gary