I promised this young man of 36 with ALS I would send his letter to everyone
i knew.  He was diagnosed in 1993, has been on ventilator since 1997.   How
anyone could look him in the eye and say you cannot have this research I can't
undertand.

Rayilyn Brown
Murrieta, CA 92562
60/68

"I have written the following letter and it has been getting broad support in
my ALS community with over 120 supporters in a week.  We will be submitting
it and the list of supporters to media throughout the country and taking out an
ad in the Washington Post to get publicity our position.  We are hoping you
will join us in our effort and help us spread the letter for support.  The
letter follows.

Your friend in the fight,
Jeff Lester
Ellisville, MO
<A HREF="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]</A>

Our Republican Leaders Have Mislead Us On Stem Cell Research and Therapeutic
Cloning Because They Have Failed Us On the Anti-Abortion Front

First, I want to preface my comments by saying I have been a life-long
Republican, a dedicated Christian who believes that life begins at conception and
finally that abortion is wrong and should be abolished or severely curtailed as
an extreme last option. I have been fighting the effects of ALS, Lou Gehrig's
Disease, for over 10 years. This fatal neuromuscular disease has left me a
quadriplegic dependant on a ventilator. Finally, I am making this statement after
years of careful contemplating of the issues, many hours of prayer and
leaning heavily on my faith.

Our leaders have tried to convince us that banning embryonic stem cell
research because the embryos are destroyed and that by preventing it that they have
somehow fought abortion even though most stem cells are obtained from
discarded embryos that result from invitro fertilization. Not only is this thinking
absolutely wrong, they are also using this as a ploy to cover up the fact that
they have made little, if any, progress in stopping abortions. In fact I
believe that by banning embryonic stem cell research, they are creating a whole new
sin or at the very least compounding the sin of abortion. By banning the
research they have essentially made these embryos, or children if you will, die in
vain. They have denied them the chance for their deaths to serve a higher
purpose of helping their fellow man for the betterment of mankind. Instead they
have made their deaths to serve no purpose and they are thrown out with the
garbage. There are many examples today where we celebrate people's deaths because
they helped their fellow man and their deaths served the purpose of the
betterment of mankind. The first example of this is our many fine men and women who
die every day serving us in the police, fire and armed services. We rightfully
honor them as heroes who gave their lives to help their fellow man and
hopefully for the betterment of mankind. A much closer correlation to the embryos is
the example of the thousands of people who in their death make the unselfish
act of donating their organs or their bodies to science. We celebrate and
honor their gift to help their fellow man and that their death served the
betterment of all mankind. There are even examples where some of the most heinous sins
result in something good, such as when we saw the best come out in people
despite nearly 3000 people being murdered on 9/11. Finally there is the example
that has a direct correlation to harvesting stem cells from discarded embryos,
which is when families donate the organs of their children who died as a
result of the mortal sin of murder. We do not tell the families that they cannot
donate their child's organs but rather we celebrate their unselfish gift and
even say that the donor's life lives on through the lives that received their
special gift. I say do not waste these precious embryo's lives by letting them
die in vain and be disposed of like garbage but rather give their deaths meaning
by letting them donate their stem cells so that they can help their fellow
man and they would have given us the incredible gift for the betterment of
mankind.

Now if you still think embryonic stem cell research is wrong, you must
support the development of therapeutic cloning because it is the only way to really
bypass the use of embryonic stem cells. This is another area where we have
been hood winked by our leaders because they are using this issue to muddy the
issues with abortion to cover up their lack of progress on abortion. First
therapeutic cloning doesn't involve any form of conception nor can it lead to a
cloned human being. Putting it simply, therapeutic cloning is where they hollow
out an egg and insert the patients DNA to essentially create an exact match
stem cell factory for the patient. Now where the politicians cloud this topic is
that with quite a bit of additional chemical manipulation it MIGHT then be
turned into a human clone. I have grown tired of our leaders playing politics
with these potentially major breakthroughs that could rid mankind of some of the
most hideous diseases we face all in an effort to deflect attention away from
their inability to do anything substantial about abortion. Now if after
reading this you still think these things are somehow wrong, please stop attacking
these processes that bring hope to the millions of us fighting these fatal
diseases and focus on the things that you really have a problem with: abortion,
invitro fertilization, any organ donations resulting from a murder and most of
all quit falling for our leaders decoys and hold them accountable for their
shortcomings on the real issues.

Sincerely,
Jeff Lester
Ellisville, Missouri