Linda,

Thank you for once again setting the record straight. This is the best backgrounder I have seen on the period leading up to the President's  announcement of his embryonic stem cell policy in August 2001.

The Parkinson's community is lucky to have you helping to lead the fight to find a cure for this cruel disease. I intend to send this around to everyone I know.

Thanks again,

Greg Wasson
Linda J Herman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Theresa Rehtom wrote:

<this
issue to get in office? They were not funding stem cell research, in
fact they
had a ban on this research. >>

I believe all political viewpoints should be heard, but let's get the
facts straight please. The Democrats did not impose a ban on stem cell
research. During Clinton' s administration, Republican Repressentatives
attached an amendment to the Appropriations bill each year to prohibit
NIH funding for research using embryos. During Clinton's administration,
the NIH studied the issues, composed guidelines for ethical research
using stem cells - and was about to start funding the research. This
funding was squashed as soon as George W. Bush took office.

Over the last 3 years Bush's limitations on federal funding has slowed

the progress of the research.####