LOS ANGELES To Spend 350 Million US Dollars On Stem Cell Research

2004-08-19 00:19:21

LOS ANGELES, Aug. 18(Xinhuanet)-- The US second largest city of Los Angeles
endorsed an ambitious plan Wednesday to spend 350 million US dollars on stem
cell research.

Mayor Jim Hahn and the City Council endorsed the Nov. 2 ballot initiative to finance
the research in California through low-interest and tax-free bonds.

Medical experts said that the California Stem Cell Research andCures Initiative
could lead to new treatments or cures for such diseases as diabetes, Alzheimer's,
cancer, Parkinson's, HIV/AIDS, multiple sclerosis and spinal cord injuries.

However, some others raised ethical concerns over using stem cells from human
embryos.

Following the testimony of several members of the public, council member Alex
Padilla said one of the reasons he supports stem cell research is that his mother is
a diabetes patient.

"I see her pain. I see her discomfort," he said."I dream of the day when she doesn't
have those pains, those ailments in her life."

Hahn said more than 128 million Americans have diseases or injuries that could be
cured by stem cell research.

He said the initiative will provide the much-needed fund to make the promise of new
cures and treatments a reality. That will not only save lives, but also reduce health
care costs in the longterm to boost local economy, especially in the biotech and
medicalresearch areas, he added.

Meanwhile, mayors of San Francisco, San Jose, Irvine, Santa Ana,West Hollywood
and Sausalito announced their support for the initiative.

SOURCE: Xinhuanet / SINA.com, Aug 19, 2004
http://content.sina.com/news/92/32/6923212_1_gb.html?skin=englishCenter

* * *