         Wendy,
        I agree with you that people only hear and see what supports their own point of view.  I
responded because the article you couldn't pull up (also posted on the list Aug. 11) -- Revelation
of the Nerds. The Religion of Stem-Cell Research and the opinion Dr. Bob posted on the 16th that was
'worthy of repetition' quoting Ron McKay made it appear that Dr. McKay was saying researching
embryonic stem cells was a "fairy tale"...wouldn't work....when in fact he states on his NIH website
(not opinion articles) :

   "We have also shown that embryonic stem cells can be manipulated to generate both CNS stem cells
and the terminal neuronal/glial fates of the CNS. This opens up an exciting field where we are using
the power of genomics and genetics to analyze the development and function of cells in the mouse and
human nervous systems"

    Does McKay's description of what he is doing and "This opens up an exciting field"  sound as if
it should be linked with a story stating...
     "This is nonsense. Cynical nonsense. Or as Ronald D.G. McKay, a stem-cell researcher at the
National Institutes of Health, admitted candidly to the Washington Post, a fiction: "People need a
fairy tale."

   McKay's quote came from his reply about people believing that Alzheimer's could be helped.  I
didn't copy the entire web page for the sake of brevity for the list and relevance to the
subject....which was not stem cells, but the use of quotes to suit one's own end
   And no one is saying we should not work on adult stem cells, only that both should be explored.

      Nina
      "Circumstances determine our lives, but we shape
      our lives by what we make of our circumstances."
                             Sir John Wheeler Bennett, a British historian