do you feel their pain Dr. Fink?

Stem-cell research funds needed

Today, millions of children and adults suffer from incurable diseases like
diabetes, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, heart disease, cancer, and spinal cord
injuries. One of these people is my husband, who sustained a complete spinal cord
injury in 2003. This injury has left him a permanent paraplegic and the pain
and suffering that we and our family have endured is immeasurable.

Hope is the great human emotion that helps us to endure hard times such as
these. We try to have hope that some day treatments will be developed that will
enable his condition to improve. Stem-cell research holds immense promise for
treating or perhaps even curing spinal cord injuries and other currently
incurable medical conditions.

A small amount of basic research is ongoing in the United States, but so much
more is needed before we can realize our hope that my husband could walk
again. In 2001 President Bush restricted federal funding for stem-cell research,
thereby hindering the ability of American scientists to pursue urgently needed
research. Distressing as these restrictions were to us as concerned citizens,
they took on even greater significance after July, 2003, when we realized that
years had been lost that might have produced treatments that could have
mitigated the severity of my husband's injury.

Now we have a new source for hope. John Kerry and John Edwards have promised
that they will lift the ideologically driven restrictions on stem-cell
research that are impeding progress toward treatments and cures for millions of
Americans suffering from debilitating diseases such as spinal cord injury. Had
embryonic stem-cell research moved forward in 2001, it would be fully funded and
supported by the federal government today. We urge people to join Mr. Kerry and
Mr. Edwards and support lifting the ban on federal funding for stem-cell
research.

Sandra Kosek-Sills Maumee