Your right, it is frustrating. I couldn't get to the first article, but
when I read the second article, I found that it was about BOTH types of
stem cells. Only the middle paragraph refers to ESC only.

"The identification of stem cells in the fetal and adult mammalian brain
has many scientific and clinical consequences. We have evidence for a
common stem cell generating the central and peripheral nervous system
(CNS + PNS). This cell can be obtained in large numbers and provides an
ideal system to analyze the pathways that control fate choice. We are
working on contact dependent and soluble signals that control the
proliferation and differentiation of stem cells. Similar mechanisms
regulate differentiation in fetal and adult stem cells. It is important
to determine if stem cells give rise to functional neurons. We have
shown that stem cells can generate synaptically active neurons.
We have also shown that embryonic stem cells can be manipulated to
generate both CNS stem cells and the terminal neuronal/glial fates of
the CNS. This opens up an exciting field where we are using the power of
genomics and genetics to analyze the development and function of cells
in the mouse and human nervous systems.

The clinical potential for stem cell technology is increasingly
recognized. In our group we have focussed on clinical models of
neurodegenerative diseases including Parkinson's, Alzheimer's and
demyelinating disease. Work from our group may also have important
consequences in other areas of medicine including diabetes, heart
disease and cancer."

It seems to me that people only hear and see what supports their own
point of view. If everyone would try to become aware of both sides and
listen to everything, not just what supports their "side", I think that
we would be farther along, both in terms of getting along, and in
finding a cure.

Now, totally unrelated, how many people with PD on this list have had
their appendix taken out?

Wendy