Dear List Members:

Any input on the following will be appreciated...

My sister, Fran (51 diagnosed 5 years ago is having a great deal of
difficulty) switched from Permax to Requip because of the caution about leaky heart
valve problems with Permax.  She put off starting Sinemet until agonists no
longer were adequate and has started Sinemet with small and slow increases of
dosage as she has had difficulties adjusting to medications.

She is taking Requip 2 mg/ 3 x per day and has introduced Sinemet 1/2 of
25/100 mg. 4 x per day, up from 1/4 of 25/100 mg. 4 x per day.  Next week she will
alternate the 1/2 of 25/100 and 1/4 of 25/100 for 4 x per day and the
following week will be up to the whole tablet 25/100 mg. 4 times per day.  She is
also taking 1/2 tablet of Lodysin 3 x per day, which is the carbidopa portion of
the carbidopa/levodopa, to prevent nausea.  When she gets to the full tablet
dosage, she will stop taking the extra Lodysin.

Fran is experiencing alot of rigidity, difficulty walking, problem with
balance, etc.  Do you think this is because she still needs to increase the Sinemet
at least up to the whole tablet 25/100 mg. 4 times per day? Needs assistance
getting in and out of bed, getting to bathroom, getting dressed, getting
showered, eating, etc.  The rigidity is a real problem and she has a great deal of
difficulty getting any decent amount of sleep at night for two reasons...

the rigidity and frequent urination (whether or not there is anything much in
the bladder).  Again, we're banking on an optimal dosage of Sinemet lessening
the too frequent call to the restroom and the terrible rigidity.  ANY
suggestions on ways to lessen the difficulties of these two challenges are greatly
appreciated.

Fran also thinks that the Requip is part of the problem as she doesn't recall
having this much difficulty when she was taking the Permax.  We know that she
has to increase the Sinemet and hoping that when she gets the dosage up she
will be feeling better.

Also, interesting to hear that one person we know is taking Eldepryly
(Selegine) again and found it to help with her symptoms.  Fran took that early on and
then stopped.  Are they thinking "again" there is merit to taking that drug
and if so, what amount and when?

Thanks for your input.

Sincerely,
Alison Landes