The deadline for submissions (9/15) is nine days away, so I'm sending out this reminder and encouraging those of you who have been planning on submitting an abstract to do so soon . . . Rob ================================= CALL FOR PAPERS 40th International Congress on Medieval Studies at Western Michigan University (5/5/05 to 5/8/05) PUTTING PERFORMANCE IN ITS PLACE: TOPOGRAPHY AND MEANING IN EARLY DRAMA A Session Sponsored by the Medieval and Renaissance Drama Society As organizer for this session, I'm looking for papers that explore the ways in which performance sites inform the meanings of medieval and early modern dramatic productions. I.e., what does a given site signify in socio-cultural terms, and how does that site-specific meaning influence performance practice and reception? Alternately, how does a given performance alter a spectator's quotidian experience of the performance site? I'm open to papers on sites and shows from all over medieval and early modern Europe—sites can be natural or built environments; shows can include plays, but are not limited to that mode of performance. If you have a 20-minute paper you'd like to present at this session (or an idea for such a paper), please send me a 250-500 word abstract no later than 9/15/04. You can reach me via e-mail ([log in to unmask]; RTF-format attachments encouraged) or snail mail: Rob Barrett Dept. of English University of Illinois 608 S. Wright St. Urbana, IL 61801 You can also fax abstracts to me at (217) 333-4321. Be sure to send a filled-out Abstract Cover Sheet as well: you can find a blank one at the Congress's web site (http://www.wmich.edu/medieval/congress/40cfp/forms.html). Thanks—I'm looking forward to seeing what people have to say about the intersection of local topography and performance! Best, Rob Barrett ================================= Robert W. Barrett, Jr. Assistant Professor of English University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign E-mail: [log in to unmask] WWW: https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/rwb/www/ Office Phone: (217) 333-1715