On 20040904 (Sat) at 1529:32 -0400, Rayilyn Brown wrote:

> Please, let's leave science to the scientists, who overwhelmingly support
> more research, and understand it.

Second the motion -- strongly!  But apart from that:

On most of the lists to which I belong, there is a concept generally
referred to as "OT" -- off topic, irrelevant to the purpose of the
list.  People are encouraged not to post off topic, or if there's a
good reason to do so, at least to keep the off-topic thread short.

The interminable argument on this list about the morality of stem-cell
research (or the morality of ensuring that more people die for the want
thereof) has zilch to do with Parkinson's information exchange, IMHO.
Information about peer-reviewed science demonstrating a potential
application of stem cells against Parkinson's in humans is relevant.
Discussion of whether the research should be permitted is important,
surely, but belongs in political fora elsewhere.

We have all been told: this list is for "the exchange of information
about Parkinson's. The list rapidly changed into the largest support
group I know.  Besides its original purpose, the list has become 'a
means of feeling connected' to others... a way of feeling we're not
alone... of making the road of living with pd easier to bear."

If I'm off base here and PARKINSN really is about "morality" (on which
no consensus is possible) as applied to the politics regulating
scientific research, does anyone have a pointer to a list that serves
the purposes described in the quotation above?

--
| G r e g  L o u i s         | gpg public key: 0x400B1AA86D9E3E64 |
|  http://www.bgl.nu/~glouis |   (on my website or any keyserver) |