In the study of ethics, researchers study the present and gauge what they discover with what ethicists  have postulated in the past. Most times this postulation encompasses and reinforces the belief system of the ethicist.

As this relates to fetal stem cell research, If because a researcher doesn't believe that in vitro fertilization is moral, according to law and customs, no valid conclusion can be reached that fetal stem cell research is moral and ethical.

Unless there is a hidden  political agenda, the results of any ethics committee will reflect the views of the majority. The committee make up is the key to reaching a conclusion and in the case of the present administrations stacking of the committee 7 to 5 precludes any ethical consensus that fetal stem cell research is ethical.

Since in the present political climate, changing one's mind on important matters is not possible for leaders since flip flopping are we bound to repeat the same mistakes over and over? Can we ever agree to fetal stem cell research?

In my case, family members near death have always come home...to die. I guess they know that I will let them go in peace not wanting to extend by one day their suffering. Modern hospital technology can suspend dying and can keep a corpse on life support. Chemotherapy can postpone the inevitable for days but at what expense.

I have hope...death is only a last resort. Parkinsn...this mailing list has always been the beacon of hope. We have latched onto many hopes before...adrenocell transplants, pallidotomy, fetal cell transplantation, zenocell transplantation, Stimulation of the Pallid, Stimulation of the Subthalamus Nuclei...and the promise of therapeutic fetal stem cell research.

We have been eternal optimists here, offering up our heads to all kinds of research, going even to China when the ethicists would not agree to it in the United States.

The role of this list is to present the facts, feelings and the possibilities of finding a cure for this ragtag series of maladies that beset us. Barbara and I talk regularly about how things are going.

The Parkinson's family needs help and Barbara and I hope that you receive motivation and support here.

The list charter at http://tinyurl.com/46qm6 says it all about what we are about and what is discussed here.

Morality is something that you will have to decide yourselves and is not something that we can come together on. We are international so religion is not an accepted topic here either. Let's not forget that we are human beings that care for one another so please respond to those in need.

John Cottingham
Co-owner Parkinsn