The source of this article is New York Daily: http://tinyurl.com/3okc9

Convention shies from stem-cell tiff

BY RICHARD SISK
DAILY NEWS WASHINGTON BUREAU

WASHINGTON - GOP operatives delicately maneuvered to avoid having a feel-good convention tribute to the late President Ronald Reagan turn into a former First Family feud.
"I don't want to make this a Reagan versus Reagan convention," Michael Reagan said of his flap with stepmother Nancy Reagan and stepbrother Ron Reagan over stem-cell research.

Michael Reagan, a conservative talk show host, said he'll stay away from the issue in his address to the convention Wednesday that will introduce a film tribute to his father.

"It's not what my father would have wanted," Reagan said. "For me to speak about it would be wrong. I'm sure stem cells will probably come up" at the convention, Reagan said, "but it would be better to have someone else address it."

Michael Reagan supports President Bush's restrictions on embryonic stem-cell research.

Nancy and Ron Reagan, joined by sister Patti Davis, want restrictions lifted for work on possible cures for diabetes, Parkinson's and Alzheimer's disease.

Nancy Reagan stunned the White House last May when she went public with an emotional appeal for more stem-cell research a month before her husband died at age 93 after a 10-year struggle with Alzheimer's.

Ron Reagan backed up his mother last month at the Democratic National Convention, telling delegates that the choice on stem-cell research was one "between true compassion and mere ideology."

Despite the public tiff, Nancy Reagan has endorsed Bush's reelection, but she has rejected invitations to attend the Republican National Convention.

Her aides were mum on whether she still might send the convention a written or taped message as part of the tribute to her husband, which GOP operatives hoped would portray Bush as the heir to the late President's upbeat conservatism.

Michael Reagan said his convention appearance would give the family a chance for a public "thank-you to America for the love and kindness and prayers" offered to his father. "We really haven't had a chance to do that."

Michael Reagan, 59, the adopted son of Ronald Reagan and his first wife, actress Jane Wyman, said he's on good terms with brother Ron, 46, despite their differences over stem-cell research.

"Ron and I talk about it, sure, with Nancy in the middle," Michael Reagan joked.

Originally published on August 29, 2004